lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootN00b

5 Year Member
i've been trolling around and havent found my answer regarding lighting, if it's been discussed can someone post me a link please :D but anyhow, i'm in the process of setting the timers for the light... im unsure of how long i should have each light on.. i have a uv-A and uv-B aswell as a blacklight i use to see when the other lights are off. and if someone might know at what time i should set each light to turn onn.. im in miami, fl. dont know if it makes a difference... but it's cold as heck out now and i've been using the uv-a light to keep some heat up top... but im running a few heating pads under the enclosure to keep some heat... ol'sheila seems to like the heat coming from under as she's been under the mulch in her enclosure all day today. lol :D

all suggestions and critique welcomed :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I have seen members here advise 12 to 14 hours a day for the lights to be on, so it seems like a normal day for your tortie. Redfoots also need some shade and good hides, plus deep enough substrate to dig into and under when they feel the need.;)

Most folks here do not recommend heat mats underneath the enclosure, I think because in real life tortoises get heat from above, not below. :p

As long as your temperature gradient is within recommended ranges (95-100 in the basking spot and 65-75 elsewhere in the enlosure) you can tinker a bit to see what your individual tortoise prefers. :D

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
or Stepanie: as I liked to drive my kids nuts with
Time flies, but fruit flies like bananas :)

RedfootN00b

5 Year Member
kool. i'll keep that in mind for when i set the timers.

how about infra-lighting? is it bad/good? how long should the exposure be? any alternatives at heating. im finding it difficult keeping the temperature right without the uva light onn.. im using the heating pads but im not trying to change ol'sheila's habits by making her dig for heat.. any suggestions?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
RedfootN00b said:
i've been trolling around and havent found my answer regarding lighting, if it's been discussed can someone post me a link please :D but anyhow, i'm in the process of setting the timers for the light... im unsure of how long i should have each light on.. i have a uv-A and uv-B aswell as a blacklight i use to see when the other lights are off. and if someone might know at what time i should set each light to turn onn.. im in miami, fl. dont know if it makes a difference... but it's cold as heck out now and i've been using the uv-a light to keep some heat up top... but im running a few heating pads under the enclosure to keep some heat... ol'sheila seems to like the heat coming from under as she's been under the mulch in her enclosure all day today. lol :D

all suggestions and critique welcomed :)

UVA- unneeded as a separate bulb- UVB bulbs give all the UVA you need.

UVB- run for between 6-14 hours a day (the shorter time if there is another light source, 12-14 hours if it is the main source.)

Blacklight- is another form of UV. Some brands are considered excellent sources of UVA and B and can be used like the UVB above.

Infrared is not generally considered important other than as a heat source.

You do not need UV or visible light at night, and UVA is not generally an effective heat source. You also do not want to 'blast' Red-foots with light.

Let's make this simple: Use a properly sized UVB fluorescent or Mercury Vapor bulb on a timer. If it is the only light, set it to about 14 hours a day.

Heating from below is great, especially in cool climates, but the total temps need to be carefully regulated to keep from toasting the tortoise. Figure about 85ish or so as a target. (The hatred of this sort of system comes from systems that overheat animals.)

RedfootN00b

5 Year Member
awesome. thanks dude.. so much info..
ok
- i should get rid of the a and b and get a mercury vapor which i should set for 14hrs a day...
-the infrared or blacklight was suppose to be for me to look in the enclosure while the other lights are off.
(i dont want to provide any UV or little with this light)
- the heat pads have a low/ med/ hi function which i've been maintaining on med. which is roughly about 85 degrees
any other suggestions welcomed, cheers mark :D

-Dave and Naty

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Sounds like too much 'light' info to me.. but I've only raised them since '98 so this is hands-on current personal experience.

You can keep the lights on for 8 - 12 hours if you want. I've looked upon them for probly every waking minute of every hour since '98 and they usually are only out first thing in the morning and just before dark. In other words I've not seen them bask.. I advocate a heat source over their humid hide which is where they spend most of their time anyway. A more consistant temp of low to mid 80's seems to keep them most happy.

At the risk of starting a debate.. which is not my intent - where you live they probly get enough UVB from the sun.. an hour every other day.. to last them the rest of week - providing they have enough animal protein in their weekly diet.

You may want to take a look at the 'caresheet' in the turtletary.com link below...

NERD

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I tend to agree with Redfoot Nerd ( I can't believe I said that ) in that your lighting seems a bit too complicated.
Having a light on for up to 12 hours a day is one thing. Providing UVB/UVA lighting is probably not a bad thing either as long as you don't go nuts over it.
But blacklight? Infra-red lighting? I think you're wasting your money.

RedfootN00b

5 Year Member
gotcha... redfoot nerd... you're such a nerd lol.. thx for the info.. i've replaced my system with a mercury bulb, as far as the blacklight, that was just for me to light the room so that i can see her without having to turn on the mercury as a lightsource at the few minutes im looking at her during the night time when i enter the room her enclosure is in.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
RedfootN00b said:
gotcha... redfoot nerd... you're such a nerd lol.. thx for the info.. i've replaced my system with a mercury bulb, as far as the blacklight, that was just for me to light the room so that i can see her without having to turn on the mercury as a lightsource at the few minutes im looking at her during the night time when i enter the room her enclosure is in.

Don't take this NERD wrong.. but is it necessary to turn the lights on once Sheila has gone to bed; just so you can see her?

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.