Lighting for new enclosure.

Turbotort

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey everyone!

A friend and I have been working oney new enclosure. I will be finishing it up in a week or so and am not really sure what to do for lighting. I currently have a small uv bulb from lowes and it gives off a purple glow. Its not very big either. Everyone says redfoots dont like bright light so what would be a good idea for something to use? I dont want to give off heat because its already in the 80's just from ambient temps in Florida.

I dont feel i 100% need a uv bulb because i can put Littlefoot outside 3-5 days a week for sun down here and probably doesn't need a mvb or anything like that. Here are a couple pics. He/she is currently 135g's! :)

Attachments

• 1467313936706.jpg
    1467313936706.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 1467313962573.jpg
    1467313962573.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 1467313973377.jpg
    1467313973377.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 32

JHat

Deer Park, TX
That box looks explosion proof!

I wouldn't put a colored bulb, maybe just a low wattage tube florescent, so its not dark? and have the hides block the light if he/she doesn't care for the light.

What is your plan for humidity?

Turbotort

Florida
I'm not sure how it will hold humidity yet. It has a two part lid. And i ran caulking along the edges and weather stripping for the top.

Attachments

• 1467317873137.jpg
    1467317873137.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 13

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The enclosure is not open top correct? If it's enclosed you should have no problem with humidity.

Turbotort

Florida
Yes it is closed. I'm just trying to figure out how I should light it. I'm wondering how dim LEDs would do. They dont give off heat.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The bluish uv bulb it really just a grow light for plants. Doesn't put out any UVB which is what tortoises require. However, you are correct that as long as your a giving it 1-2 hours of sunshine at least twice a week, you don't need a UVB light in the enclosure.

I am a believer though in providing as natural a light for torts as possible. Their vision is very different than ours. They even have four cones in their eyes as opposed to the three cones humans have. They see a much broader spectrum of light and see UV that is invisible to us. That helps them select the plants they eat and basking sites. I therefore like the fluorescent tubes. You could use a double t5 or t8 fixture and put in a 6500k bulb from Lowes on one side and perhaps a 10.0 UVB tube on the other. That would give the closest to natural sunlight you could provide. I also use that as it does not produce the heat of a MVB in an enclosed chamber I then use a standard incandescent flood bulb for a basking location on a rheostat ( dimmer) so I can adjust the level. As you say your type tortoise isn't as much of a basket as other type and you can adjust to whatever seems to produce the best results for you.

I have stayed away from LEDs. I like them but we don't know yet what the spectrum of light produced really will do for a tortoise. Their doing wonders in aquariums with them now and doing great for growing corals even. So wouldn't be surprised if there could be a great application for them. Just haven't seen any good compelling data for this application yet

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@Rue GREAT, now I'm gonna forever erroneously think Littlefoot's name is Furiosa.

With some weekly natural sunlight you may not need a UVB bulb. I've always needed heat lamps because I'm a spoiled city slicker that requires air conditioning so I can't speak for whether or not humidity will be okay with ambient temps alone. However I believe in going the extra mile to prevent any possible problems so I would go with fluorescent UVB and lots of greenery/hides so they can be in total darkness if they please, just in case the weekly sunshine isn't enough.

Reactions: Rue

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah my friend has a ton of fluorescent fixtures so he is giving me some. I plan to have a bunch of branches to mimic trees with fake plants out of reach to start. I will make some rock caves and things with moss or coco in them to hide. Also plans of a waterfall into the water dish. Should come out really nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rue

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A gorgeous tort deserves such an enclosure!