Heating Solutions

Tortoise Love08

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando FL
I live in Florida and am working on creating a heating solution for my tortoise. He is a yellow foot and lives outdoors. We have a wooden dog house currently with a Cermanic lamp for heating but the temp is getting to 90 degrees at night, is that too hot? Anyone have other ideas?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Are you using a thermostat on the CHE/ Ceramic heat emitter?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
When you say 90. What are you measuring?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You probably want to put like a plastic doggie door flap on the dog house and then set the heater up on a thermostat. I'm not familiar with the temps for a yellow foot but those are a few things I would suggest.

Tortoise Love08

Orlando FL
I have a dog flap on the house and I am using a CHE and then just a regular air themonter that is in the dog house.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482986563.877624.jpg

I currently have all of these and all work great. 2 and 4 are my favorite because of the digital display but all are good. This way you can dial in the temp you want with the CHE.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If an over head heat source is to close to the top of the shell it can damage the shell. A thermostat would be great. And measuring the temperature right on the top of the shell to make sure it is not to hot. Ninety would be ok right in the hot spot. But if it is ninety every where than the hot spot is probably too hot.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need to use a thermostat with your CHE. I believe 80 is the recommended temperature to set it at, but don't keep this species so go with those that do!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Buy one of the thermostat shown in the picture above. You set it for, say, 80F degrees, and the thermostat turns the CHE on and off to maintain that temperature.