Heating -vs- CuFt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
As you all know, I am working on my Twin Enclosure for Eros and Gaia. I am also working on "Phase IV - The Top". I have cut holes for my Double Lamp Holder which will be used over my basking spots and will be 75w MVB(x2) (if I can find them that small). And I have cut holes for my Florecent UV bulbs (x2). I have marks where I want to put Caged fixtures for my Ceramic Heat Emiters. I also have a small fan mounted to the inside of the top for air circulation. It will be completely enclosed. Dimintions are 4'x4.5'x18" with a total of 28cuft of space.

Question;

With 28cuft of space to keep heated. The CHE will be about 12" off the ground. What size CHE should I buy? I currently have 1 that is 100w. Will another 100w work or will I need a larger one?

Akronic

5 Year Member
i have yet to find a descent MVB that puts out UV under 100w. i do have a 150 CHE that i put in a 10" dimable brooder lamp. if i have that on next to my 100w Powersun the basking are quickly gets above 120F so i would say you should be fine w/ just the one 100w CHE, since it is enclosed you're not going to be losing the heat constantly like an open table. do you plan on puttin the CHE on the same side as the 2x MVB? i dont know much about the requirements of Leos. hope this helps some. you might look into a dimmable fixture for your CHE or a thermostat w/ a probe.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I have my CHE's on a thermostat but I can't put the MVB on a dimmer (I was told they need full power because they have built in balist)

Akronic

5 Year Member
yeah you cant dim MVB. the only other option is to use the standard 100w and raise it up. or go w/ standard incandescent or halogen, they might come in lower wattage. i know they put out alot of heat also, but then you have to use a florescent for UV. i have dimable ballast on my lights in my indoor garden, but that's 1,000w dimable down to 600w, and that's for another Forum haha

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
heheheh I also have the Powersun 10 UV florecent tube lights (x2), but at 18" I'm not sure how much UV's are getting to ground level. I might just go with spotlights for my basking area because they get LOTS of natural UVs being outside all the time. For now, their indoor enclosure is just for nights and inclimate weather. I can change over to MVB when winter sets in and the UV's are more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.