Heating

PenguinFan

I have a night time 100w bulb above my 50 gallon aquarium. I can't seem to get the temperature above 75° .. what should I have the temp. at at all times for a Russian Tort.. buying the tortoise tonight so I need to figure this out asap.. thanks

PenguinFan

I have a night time 100w bulb above my 50 gallon aquarium. I can't seem to get the temperature above 75° .. what should I have the temp. at at all times for a Russian Tort.. buying the tortoise tonight so I need to figure this out asap.. thanks

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
75 is (IMHO) generous for nighttime temps. :D
By nighttime bulb, do you mean infared?

PenguinFan

It is a purple bulb but I'm thinking of getting a red 150w. . That bulb will be on 24/7 then the uv bulb will kick on during the day. . I'm hoping the uv bulb will give a little more heat. .

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Is it an adult Russian? If so as long as the temperature is above 60 to 65° at night you're fine. They are basking spot during the day should be around 95 to 100.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
May I suggest that you try to find a bigger enclosure for your Russian? 50 gallon aquarium is very small and doesn't give the tortoise enough room to run around and it is hard to get a warm side any cool side in such a small place.if you are getting a hatchling it could work for a while. But an adult needs a lot more room. Please check out the Russian tortoise section for the care sheet that will give you a lot of great information. Congratulations on your new tortoise.

M

Maggie Cummings

You could also cover the top some so you can warm it up. But Russians like a drop in temperature at night...