Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Ogway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Have a red foot and I'm in the process of making a tortoise table for him and I have some question on the heating elements I should be using in it. I was thinking about just using a heating pad for ground warmth and to add to the humidity but also a heat or u uv lamp for radiant heat. But I've recently seen heat ropes and ceramic lamps and I bunch of other things I did't even know about? If you guys could give any advice or share your experience that'll be great :)

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
I'd recommend heating with a CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) or a mercury vapor bulb because that includes heat and UVB. Hope I helped a little :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
There are a lot of different ways to do it. Redfoots do need more humidity, so you may have to plan for a partial or full cover with holes cut for lights (plexiglass, etc) to help.

Waterproof heat cables, if attached to plastic or galvanized wire about 2-3" apart on loops, can be more effective under the substrate to get humidity up and distribute warmth. A heat mat will be outside the table, and wood does not transmit heat well. If inside, it would have to be on the side of the enclosure.
Here is a current thread about heat cables and more, check it out, and look especially at post #15 for a description of Redstrike's heat set up.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-59002.html#axzz2BbdN80by

Also do a search for things like 'indoor enclosure and Redfoots', etc., to get more ideas. there are a lot of wonderful set ups and it does pay to do your research first.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.