Heatwave strikes Minneapolis, Dane goes Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis is experiencing clear skies today and lots of bright warm sun. The temperature is a balmy 42 degrees- a perfect day for Dane to get his first taste of real sun in over 2 months!
We walked down the street to an up-scale apartment building that had a nice lawn.

IMG_0149.jpg

Dane got to see snow for the first time in his entire life!

IMG_0156.jpg

I could almost see his shell getting stronger by the second under the real SUN!

IMG_0168.jpg

So curious

IMG_0175.jpg

He's surrounded!

IMG_0184.jpg

Finally, after almost an hour of walking, he started 'burrowing' under my leg so it was time to go home.

IMG_0189.jpg

Thanks for looking

M

Maggie Cummings

Hahaha...great pictures! I so much enjoyed seeing them. I totally understand about rare sunshine as we are gray here for 7 or 8 months...I might make one suggestion tho, make sure your husbandry is correct and Dane has 70 to 80% ambient humidity in his enclosure. He looks a little bumpy and his age is a real danger for pyramiding. Humidity is something that new keepers don't seem to understand. Please don't think I mean any disrespect because I don't, it's just that pyramiding is difficult to stop once it starts and you know you don't want a pyramided tort. So I am just trying to give you a heads up...

I just went back and looked at you and your threads and your pictures of Dane. I see that you are not a new keeper and that I have talked to you in the past about Dane's pyramiding. I also checked out your new tort table and I see the size of it and I am thinking that is one problem, as it is so big and that makes it harder to increase the humidity. So I am going to suggest that you create a humid hide, and Roachman can tell you how if you need that, but I really think that humidity is a problem in your tort table and it is really important to Dane that you increase the ambient humidity. Also before I leave I just wanted to say the pictures of Dane walking around his new habitat are precious. He looks like he is smiling all the way and very happy. I really like those pictures...
so that's all the ragging on you I will do for a while...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
He is soo adorable! I can't wait to take Nelson outside.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
awwwwwwwwwww how cute!!!! my tortoises have NEVER seen snow. i sometimes take my aquatic turtles to the beach to go swimming in a little pool of ocean water in the beach

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
this is also what i did with my 1 year old sully. no snow here... just cloudy sky and wind. he is very handsome

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Where were his snow boots? :p I won't even take Ruby or Dale out when it's 68 degrees over here glad to see that it worked for Dane. He does look bigger now. I bet he was so happy to be outside (at least for that hour). I'm sure he was starting to get cold when he finally ran to daddy to take him it. Great pictures. I really enjoyed seeing his day out in the sun. ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's so great that you can take him out while there's still snow on the ground. We got in the high 40's this week...but....more snow tomorrow. Poor Pio will have to wait until the Spring thaw....It was fun seeing your pictures, even with the snow.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I cant wait for the summer here in the UK becuase crush loves the proper sun!
And maybe I willl take him for a walk :)

xx

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Excellent photos of your little Magellan circumnavigating his world.:cool:

And his precious face in that last shot---SO endearing with that grass-stained, satisfied "smile." :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Every time I see your subject line I think, "Extra! Extra! Heat wave strikes Minn....."

Great headline! And Dane is a VERY pretty sulcata. I just love him.

Status
Not open for further replies.