Hello a new Sulcata baby owner from Colorado

bell87

Hi I just received a baby Sulcata from an acquaintance new on the forum I live in Colorado just looking for some locals or good starter advice....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410317767.656710.jpg

bell87

That's a great thread I think this Tom guy is pretty knowledgeable. Interesting ideas about pyramiding though

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
His methods are pretty solid and backed with years of experience. I followed his advice raising my sully baby and she's pretty perfect :)

bell87

Oh yea I can tell I wasn't saying he's wrong pyramiding is directly related to humidity I'm actually in school to be a vet tech I don't know it all so I want to get insight and knowledge from the people who have years of experience hopefully he can help make my Sully be as awesome as you guys on here

bell87

Thanks man he/she doesn't have a name yet I like blast pies my wife like franklin lol I'm trying to learn as much as possible about them too.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Nice looking little tort !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bell87

So I read his thread about open top enclosures do you think it will be ok to keep my tort in an open top until I can finish constructing a more permanent enclosure? I didn't know that sulcatas needed humidity inside their enclosures, except for soakings and normal hydration. Good thing I found out I was going to buy a tortoise table online and use for his young age.

Jbrown

Plano, Texas
Take an old tshirt or a cardboard box to ensure closure... Make sure youre using gauges are reading correctly... Keep humidity 75-85... If you go higher humidity then don't let the temp get too high... The balance will depend on where you live...

I soak twice daily and let mine roam 30-45 min. daily... Mine is 7 weeks old

80-95 daytime... And night time should just be overall cooler...

With an open top you run the risk of not familiarizing your tortoise with the night and day difference....

Make sure the temps always consistent and don't forget sun sun sun sun sun sun sun....

Jbrown

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

bell87

Ok I have been soaking and he goes outside everyday. Being in Colorado that won't last long so when he is indoors he is under a UVB plus his day heat bulb in the day it's stays about 84-79 on his cool side and his basking gets up to 105

Jbrown

Plano, Texas
Unless Tom says otherwise I think those temps are sufficient... I'm in TX... So the weather thing is outta my league...

Jbrown

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

bell87

I took your advice on the grass he eats it more than the mustard greens and spring mix. Also he get some grape leaves from the neighbors vines growing into my yard. I also use the repashy grassland grazer good or no Imma finish reading the thread also.

bell87

Also when he came to me his right eye was closed and wouldn't open. I soaked him to no success. A couple days ago I put an ophthalmic ointment on his eye and the next day it was open and he seemed more active. I wanted to use Terramycin but I didn't take him to school so I used what I had. Also he had bubbles in his nose I thought it was an URI but I'm no doc it has passed for now is that cool too? As a tech I know I should be in the docs office for stuff like that but I've had good success with all my other animal history.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I have been soaking and he goes outside everyday. Being in Colorado that won't last long so when he is indoors he is under a UVB plus his day heat bulb in the day it's stays about 84-79 on his cool side and his basking gets up to 105

There is a real problem with indoor basking lamps desiccating the carapace and contributing to pyramiding. I try to use lower wattage flood bulbs and keep the basking spot around 95ish. Shell spraying, humid hides, damp substrate and daily soaks all help combat this and also simulate the African rainy season that they hatch into.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also when he came to me his right eye was closed and wouldn't open. I soaked him to no success. A couple days ago I put an ophthalmic ointment on his eye and the next day it was open and he seemed more active. I wanted to use Terramycin but I didn't take him to school so I used what I had. Also he had bubbles in his nose I thought it was an URI but I'm no doc it has passed for now is that cool too? As a tech I know I should be in the docs office for stuff like that but I've had good success with all my other animal history.

All of those are bad signs. The eyes can be from chronic dehydration since most people start them all wrong, even to this day. It can also be due to exposure to a faulty coil type UV bulb. Some of them burn tortoise eyes and I recommend they not be used. It could also be sickness caused by inappropriate environmental parameters. What are you using for night heat and what are your night temps. Most people let baby sulcatas get too cool. I don't like them below 80 day or night. My friend Tomas from Senegal tells me there are but two season in suclata territory: "Hot and hotter!" Keeping them cooler at night often causes respiratory infection, which often causes the nose bubbles and eye issues you have seen.