Hello all, Just signed up from Richmond VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rockville, VA
Hello, Im Roy and I just finished signing up and hope to learn and find some friends on here!

All my life my favorite animal was the turtle...of course, who doesn't like them? My family has a cabin on the Chickahominy river in VA and I used to collect them all day long. I would mostly catch Snappers, Painted, Box, Alligator, Peninsula (only one) and almost a Ninja Turtle. I later found out that the ninja turtle feet prints were from a human trying to impress a kid, IT WORKED!

Well I starting researching turtles in 2005 with hopes to gain a pet that could happily live in a house or in my yard. I learned a lot (much forgotten) but most seemed to be opinions. I didnt feel confident that I could fix any problems I may encounter with my pet so I never adopted. Well, a friend sent me some pics from the pet store and I was surprised and what I could remember. I had more info than the person at the pet store could offer, what a surprise right?

I went to the pet store and looked at a few and checked out the living environment. They didnt look very happy, all asleep with nowhere to borrow.

I want a Sulcata (sul-cott-ugh??). I wanted to get one, put him in my 55 gal tank, then learn what he needs as I go. I figured if I have him, I will be more motivated to learn and do. I have been debating it for a few days now and I need to learn, build, prep my house then adopt. So here I am! Taking notes :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Hello all, Just singed up from Richmond VA

Welcome to the Forum, Roy!

Yes, your pronunciation of Sulcata is correct except for the "ugh" at the end. Of course, what comes out of the end, usually is pretty UGH!

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri

Welcome Roy! You will get all the info you need here, and then some!

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA

emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, Roy!

Yes, your pronunciation of Sulcata is correct except for the "ugh" at the end. Of course, what comes out of the end, usually is pretty UGH!

Thanks, not really sure about that ugh lol. I stay away from babys because of that and now ill be looking thru it to make sure my tort is alright?? hahahaha

shellibelli72 said:
Welcome Roy! You will get all the info you need here, and then some!

Thanks, "And then some" will be good. Less questions Ill have to ask to make me feel like a moron haha

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. Good choice. I am a sulcata lover myself. They are awesome. Under my signature you will find some threads that will help. Lots of reading and lots of good advise here...

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Welcome Roy! It is always good to set everything up and then get your tortoise (just my oppinion though). I don't know much about Sulcatas, except they are too big for me LOL. It is always nice to hear someone finding this forum before they adopt.

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA
Thanks guys :)

Len-I think thats about a 90 minute hike. What torts do you have?

Mainey34-thanks for having those links in your sig. Very helpful and lots more to read

Spn785- My only fear is that no one will want him when I pass away. Who ever gets the tort takes the house lol

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
ahhwataday said:
Thanks guys :)

Len-I think thats about a 90 minute hike. What torts do you have?

Mainey34-thanks for having those links in your sig. Very helpful and lots more to read

Spn785- My only fear is that no one will want him when I pass away. Who ever gets the tort takes the house lol

I can get to the airport in about 90 minutes. I have a variety, sulcata,leopard,star,yellowfoot,redfoot,russian,mep,mee, impressed,and some turtles.

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA
Woooow Len, That sounds awesome, all kinds of children haha. If you go the opposite way, its 90 minutes to my house. When you hit 295 go towards short pump, then 64/95 West/North and Im about 12 minutes from there. Not far for me tho, Im not scared to drive...maybe I can see your reptile family someday and learn a few things

Thanks pam

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
loudog253 said:
it's cool to have another tortoise lover here in WA! i live in Puyallup.

I think Roy said he was in Virginia, however there ARE many, many PNW'erners here on the forum! :p

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Hi! There's a wealth of info. on here. I am a new owner of a baby Sulcata. I did LOTS of research and spoke to a Herp Vet before getting one. You should have all of the things that you need before getting one ( proper enclosure, substrate, basking and UVB lighting, supplements, hides, temp and humidity gauges, etc.) and learn as much as you can to properly care for the tort. These torts are a commitment. Babies are very fragile and need proper care. You're in the right place to learn and receive help from people who know how to care for these animals. :)

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA
Ye, Im in Virginia

I just got back from Lowes. while looking for supplies I hear over the intercom "Roy to the front" then my cousin Roy sends a text. Then when I left a got behind an Escalade with "ROYS BBY" on the tag. lol, I didnt know there were so many of us.

ANYWAY, I was at Lowes lookin for supplies, I decided I need a few ore details before I start. I made a thread about my tort table so please check it out.

Lights, way too many and not enough knowledge in my brain yet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.