Hello everyone!

LeoGecko879

Location (City and/or State)
New York State
Ok... so i recently got a tortoise (by recently i mean literally an hour and a half or so ago), i have done a bunch of research on them but it has been a few months and my memory is not very good at the moment (because i am tired and i have had a lot on my mind sense i did the research despite normally pretty easily absorbing the information). so my dads, girlfriends, friend wanted to give away the tortoise (i have not named it) and they kept it a secret until today that they were going to give him/her to me (there was a hint a few days ago), i love taking care of animals and i don't have a problem taking care of a tortoise but i want to get a large bit more then the basic care (because i remember some of the basic care but not much, and i need to know more of the other stuff like illnesses and what to watch out for, i am going to look some of this stuff up but i want to get more info then i can if i just look up random stuff within the next few days), i'm pretty sure it's some type of Greek tortoise (the friend says they will tell us the type sometime tonight but i'm pretty sure it is).

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! We would love to see pictures.

Please keep in mind that if this tortoise is an adult, it will require a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. Also be sure to understand that most of the info online is completely outdated, so you might have gotten a lot of misinfo during your research.

Please give these a read and come back with questions :)
Greek Tortoise (Testudo graeca) Care Sheet/Overview
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...e-(Testudo-graeca)-Care-Sheet-Overview.87146/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Actually, instead of the Greek Care Sheet I linked you, use this one instead-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Russians can be kept relatively the same as Greeks.
The one I linked the first time hasn’t been updated in 4 years, so practices have definitely changed in that time and the Sheet is a bit outdated.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! Congrats on your new tortoise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!

Look forward to pics (I have a Greek tort - Oli).

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Welcome! If you post pics we can certainly help you identify your Greek. I keep a variety of subspecies of Greek Tortoises myself, they are amazing!

LeoGecko879

New York State
Actually, instead of the Greek Care Sheet I linked you, use this one instead-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Russians can be kept relatively the same as Greeks.
The one I linked the first time hasn’t been updated in 4 years, so practices have definitely changed in that time and the Sheet is a bit outdated.
It's been a while sense i checked on this, but I have been told (and i believe) that chicken nugget (his name that i randomly came up with and it has stuck) is a Russian tortoise DSC00346.JPG (this is a picture i took within the first few days of having him I have changed how his tank is a little sense then) after looking around i'm pretty sure he is a male (his previous owners did not know for sure), I'm pretty sure i am going to get a bigger cage for him for Christmas (which i wanted to get one sooner then that but at least it's a big upgrade in size, whether i do or don't get a bigger cage for Christmas, I will buy or make a bigger one for him myself soon after if i do not get one then) they say he is a little over 5 years old. If anything seems to be wrong in the picture other then the tank size (as i am working on upgrading it already) please tell me, i am trying to find out if i am doing anything wrong from multiple different experienced people to make sure it's not something bad that i am doing so that i can change it to something better.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Welcome to the Forum! Your local herpetological society can probably help you find a good, experienced tortoise vet. Best to let the veterinarian trim the beak for now, especially if there are any special tools that would make it easier and less stressful on the tortoise.

LeoGecko879

New York State
Welcome to the Forum! Your local herpetological society can probably help you find a good, experienced tortoise vet. Best to let the veterinarian trim the beak for now, especially if there are any special tools that would make it easier and less stressful on the tortoise.
Okay, Thank you for the info! I'll look around to see who i can find.