Hello everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie237

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, I'm new to this site. My girlfriend gave me the go-ahead to buy a Sulcata, and I want to make sure I get everything well set up for the little bugger before it arrives. I know a wee bit about turtle keeping- I currently have two Eastern Painted turtles that hatched in my parents' driveway a couple years ago, the little buggers are doing great.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of stupid questions, so thanks in advance to everyone.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Welcme to the forum Hobie237, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. At least that is my take. Look around the forum, I'm sure some of your questions have probably been asked answered on here somewhere. :)

hobie237

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Welcme to the forum Hobie237, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. At least that is my take. Look around the forum, I'm sure some of your questions have probably been asked answered on here somewhere. :)

Yep, been reading for quite some time now- I'm quite familiar with the "SEARCH NEWB!!!" responses that often show up in forums. ;)

Isa said:
Welcome to the forum Hobie237

When are you planning to buy the new "little" one :)

Soon, but no exact timeline. I want to make sure that I have an appropriate place to keep him/her/it. My girlfriend and I are in a bit of a temporary living situation at the moment (we're in grad school, so not a very big apartment) but I can definitely make room for one of the tortoises. Since we're heading toward winter, I'm going to be working on an indoor enclosure for the little bugger, something like a giant sandbox that he can hang out and dig in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Hobie237!! May we know your name? If you let us know what city you are in, we might be able to put you in contact with a club or rescue that adopts out turtles and tortoises. There usually are sulcatas available at either no cost or a slight adoption fee. Its good that you are doing your research prior to getting the tortoise.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome to both you and your girlfriend. May I ask what your area of interest is in grad school? I just got my little Sulcata this week.:cool: When you finally do get yours, your going to be so thrilled. Such a special and slightly different tort from so many other species.

hobie237

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My name is Ricky, my girlfriend's name is Rachael. She's doing her masters in Urban Affairs and Public Policy with a concentration in urban planning, I'm doing a Master of Public Administration, with a concentration in state and local management. While I'm interested in government and such (I'll likely end up a town manager somewhere when I get done in May) I prefer working on cars- I built race cars for the school when doing my undergrad degree, so I'd like to open up a specialty shop, hopefully sooner rather than later. At least then I could put my thousands of dollars worth of tools to good use.

Anyhoo, we're at the University of Delaware, in Newark, DE. If there are local clubs that have sulcatas up for adoption, that'd be great, I always prefer to adopt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
Welcome to both you and your girlfriend. May I ask what your area of interest is in grad school? I just got my little Sulcata this week.:cool: When you finally do get yours, your going to be so thrilled. Such a special and slightly different tort from so many other species.

"You just got a little sulcata this week???", asks she slyly. "Can we see pictures?"

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum Ricky and Rachael.
Yes Jacqui we want Pics no fair keeping this new little one all to yourself. :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D :D I just saw the last couple of posts on this thread :D :D Robyn the reason Yvonne was saying that like she did, was because I wore her down enough that she has blessed me with getting to serve his royal Tillman. Tillman is the youngster she get in awhile back with the swollen eyes and not eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.