Hello Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
My name is Quyen and I'm located in Tampa, Florida. I got my first Leopard tortoise about a year ago. I want to get more tortoises and I would appreciate all the wisdom everyone can give me before I bring another one home.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us how you are keeping your leopard that you have right now? If you can give us an idea of how you are raising the one you have now then we can tell you how to improve your conditions on your tortoise and any future ones you have as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Quyen:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Are you thinking of more leopards?...or some other species?

There should be a quarantine period and a separation of species.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Florida is just the perfect place to raise torts isn't it? Right up there will California and Arizona. Dang Nebraska :)

What kind of tortoise are you thinking for your second one?

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
emysemys said:
Hi Quyen:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Are you thinking of more leopards?...or some other species?

There should be a quarantine period and a separation of species.

I was hoping to get some star tortoises but everyone on the forum is against mixing species so I guess ill have to wait until I find room. I want to get another leopard tortoise but is it true that its better to have one or three+ tortoise than two? How long should a quarantine period be?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Quyen! Quarantine can be any where from a minimum of a month to a year. So you don't have room for a second enclosure? The one, two, or 3 and more is all dependent on the individual tortoises, their sizes, the size and amount of hides and visual barriers you have among other things.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Jacqui said:
Hi Quyen! Quarantine can be any where from a minimum of a month to a year. So you don't have room for a second enclosure? The one, two, or 3 and more is all dependent on the individual tortoises, their sizes, the size and amount of hides and visual barriers you have among other things.

Im living in an apartment right now but im hoping to move to a house soon. Maybe then Ill have more space to get some star tortoise too.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I think quarantining isnt needed at all as long as you have a captive bred healthy tortoise and you are getting a new captive bred baby from a reliable source. I think quarantining is more of a necessity with captive bred sub adult and adult tortoises but even then if its from a reliable source I would have no problem keeping it quarantined for a week or two and introducing him/her to my colony. Quarantining is an absolute necessity for Wildcaught tortoises for at least a year for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.