Hello from a South African

Status
Not open for further replies.

swalker

5 Year Member
Hello All,

I have recently moved to Mass. but kept and bred Leopard tortoises in my native South Africa for many, many years. Have not had torts for the last 10 years but looking to get something again in the next 6 months or so. Looking at Pardalis, Sri Lankan Stars or Radiated but so, so tough to find true Pardalis in the US. Been searching for 6 months. Radiated are maybe a little dear and Stars seems a little fragile. Ideas welcome.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and when you do get your tort---we LOVE PICS :p

Leopards are an awesome species for sure, very beautiful....

Oogway

5 Year Member
Denmark
radiated look awesome, welcome to tfo and looking forward to seeing some photos when you have made your choice :tort: :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Wow thats awesome!!! Do you have any pics of the ones you used to keep? And I would contact Tom on here if you are interested in getting some paradalis. And welcome!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. Tom is the one for leopards. However I think there are others on here, can't remember who. You might want to post in the wanted section. Good luck. Would love pics when you get one and if you have some from when you were in Africa.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Stars aren't that fragile. Just much different requirements of south African tort species. You can find some pardalis pardalis. We will help you.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
tortadise said:
Welcome. Stars aren't that fragile. Just much different requirements of south African tort species.

This is our experience as well, in fact quite the opposite as fragile. More prone to RI surely, but a little runny nose here and there doesn't have any lasting effects.

There are maybe just a handful of people who breed "pure" South African leopards. I believe two or three in California and one or two on the west coast. Others are popping up here and there. They tend to lay low, but their hatchlings are available through a few different sources. You might have to wait a few months until you see them more.

Welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome again...
I know a breeder here in Southern CA that has true South Africans. He bought his founder stock directly from an importer friend of his right when they came in, back in 1990. He has kept them separate and been breeding them ever since. He has found the best way to incubate them is to leave them in the ground. He gets a batch of babies every Summer around late August or early September. I usually pick up a couple dozen from him and resell them here on the forum. They really are special and different from the regular leopards.

How did you incubate yours back home? Did you have to give them a diapause? What part of SA were you in? Tell us what the weather was like in a typical year. I was there for four months in 2005 and one of my SA friends and co/workers lived up in the mountains. He told me the leopards near him hibernated every year. Ever heard of that?

swalker

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the warm welcome. Look forward to chatting to all of you over the coming months and years on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.