Hello from cold rainy Lincolnshire

Wendy Douce

Hi I have just taken over the care of my sons two horsefield Tortoises both about 8 years old. I'm new to this and trying to find out as much as i can about the care they need. They are housed indoors at the moment but i will look to out doors in the spring/summer depending on the British weather. For in door living I am getting them two new Vivariums (they fight and don't get on so have to be housed separately) as big as i can fit in to my room 48"x24"x 20" and a looking for the best lighting and heating for them. They have a uvb tube 0.5 and basking spot light 60w at the moment I have read that these are not the best living conditions for tortoises but with space and cold weather i am trying to make them as good as they can be. Thanks for any advice you can give me and the girls Pebble and Bubble

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Wendy, and welcome to the Forum!

Wendy Douce

THis evie 021.JPG This Is Bubble and Pebble In their old houses, small and boring. I want to make a better home with a a ramp shelter and a soil substrateevie 035.JPG

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
both of there beaks look over grown, add a cuttle bone to there cage and place there food on a rock, that will help slowly trim there beaks back to normal. also i would replace the substrate to cyprus mulch or shaved coconut fibers. what is there diet? how often do you soak them?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Wendy:

Are you using a UVB light with them? They sort of look like maybe the shells are not growing as they should be. UVB and more humidity in there.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Wendy welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . You've had the Russian torts for 8 years how old are the bulbs cause they last a couple of years but only give UV Rays for about 6months ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I would switch the substrate (bedding) out asap. It looks like pine or cedar which is toxic to tortoises. Its good you are here, you will learn a bunch of info to help care for these guys :)

Wendy Douce

Hello yes the beaks do look over grown and i have already put in some cuttle bone and got some slate to eat off. So far one just sits on it!. I am going to change the substrate to top soil and sand mix either 50/50 or 60/40 or 70/30 but some one on your sits said no to sand The more i look in to it the more confused i get. The bulbs get change each year one just last week.But is the strip light best or a Mercury Vapor Bulbs better? As i set the new homes up i can change things.:)