Hello from Fifi & Bumble

Fifi&Bumble

Hi everyone.
I have two Hermann Tortoises - Fifi and Bumble :)
I have joined the forum hoping to get ideas and gain better knowledge on how to give them the best life possible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Fifi&Bumble

Thank you for the welcomes.
We are in the south of England.
:)
So I have just had a quick look at the forum chats and now I think I have a lot to learn - glad I found the forum.

Fifi&Bumble

Oh so have I not joined an English forum?
I am not very good with technology and never really used a forum before. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is an international forum based in America.
I meant that there is a post where people from the UK talk about events and stuff of interest in the UK.
For example if I recommended a certain type of food and you couldn't find it in your country, these folks might be able to help you find a local alternative..
There are similar posts for people in Canada and so forth.
Otherwise, we're all the same and from all over the world as you will soon see.
You are indeed in the right place. The best place.

Last edited:

Fifi&Bumble

Oh :) haha I see.
Amazing so this is an all over the world site. Wow.

So what tortoises do you and everyone else out there have???

I saw a post that the dishes with a side slope is dangerous as possibility of drowning :-( I use that type of bowl (in pic) could they drown in that?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have four adult Redfooted tortoises, although one is currently at deaths door and in treatment. (Bertha has her own post)
Most of us use shallow tera cotta plant saucers. they are low and provide grip.
All of my tortoises except the ill one live 100% out doors in my back yard and have cement wading pools built in. I live in South Florida and the heat and humidity are very ideal for this type of tortoise.
Identify and modify or remove anything that your tortoise will climb and flip over on.
If you see an area that they could or have already flipped near, make sure that you don't have a light near that spot. A flipped over tortoise under a light is soon a dead tortoise.
Also, you'll soon be told that you should not have your tortoises together... and it's true.
You have a scrappy species that will compete for food and space. Even minor bullying will eventually make a tortoise week and sick. One will emerge as the victor and one will become ill.
The best case is either just one kept separate or three or more kept in a very large pen.
They are solitary. The need for company is a human trait.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, to you and to Fifi and Bumble, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
American based, but international flavour.
I , for example am English/Welsh but live in Morocco.
The Americans make everybody welcome, we have people from all over the world who contribute regularly.
For water, use a terracotta saucer sunk into the substrate, big enough for the tortoise to lie in and soak.
Your Hermann's are a little pyramided, so you may have to increase the humidity in their enclosure.
Also, i'm sorry to say, that pairs rarely work.
Tortoises are solitary animals by nature and don't need, or want, friends and companions.
Indeed, they will compete for territory, food, the best basking spot and stress each other out, even if you're not aware of it. Separate enclosures are best.
Look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...toise-care-sheet-updated.101410/#post-1117159
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
Please read these as they are a great help.
Lovely Torts.

Fifi&Bumble

Hi

Thank you both, now I feel a very bad tortoise mum.
I have large rocks/ stones for them to climb on, a wooden arch which they climb over. I use the dish for their leaves.
I thought them chasing, nipping legs n barging was them being 'friendly'
Please I think I need your help guys.
Sorry replies slow but I got a poorly 10mth old.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
We all help as much as we can.
Don't feel bad, we are all still learning and most of us have made mistakes before we came here.
You care and are willing to listen and ask; which is great.
There's a lot of misinformation out there, in books, on the net, pet shops and even vets.
I firmly believe that this is the best place to find the most up to date information and the most helpful and knowledgeable people.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hello from Austria! :)
Since when do you have Fifi and Bumble?

I also have two Hermanns, but they are still babys, not even a year old, that's why I can still keep them together. I just hope they are females and still get along when they grow up, since they have a large outside enclosure...

Fifi&Bumble

Hi Austria from South England :)
I got Fifi and Bumble in Oct 2012 as babies.
When I brought them they didn't say they couldn't be together forever :-(
I don't know what I'm gona do now I've not room for two viv's.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Oh :) haha I see.
Amazing so this is an all over the world site. Wow.

So what tortoises do you and everyone else out there have???

I saw a post that the dishes with a side slope is dangerous as possibility of drowning :-( I use that type of bowl (in pic) could they drown in that?
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Hermanns rule ! I have 22 leopards , 8 Russians , 3 marginals ,7 hermanns , 4 Greeks , 7 box turtles , 2 pancakes , 3 Egyptians , 5 Res , 5 painted turtles , 2 giant river cooters , and 1false map turtle, and AZDT.and 15 years of raising them .

Fifi&Bumble

So I need to:-
Change bowl to terracotta plate/dish
Do I need seperate for leaves and water as at moment I am water in with the leaves?
I'm sprinkling calcium suppliment on.
Take out the stones and bridge.
I'm using pure topsoil and play sand as their floor - is the ok?
I've got a 40watt bulb and a uv tube.

Fifi&Bumble

Oh and daily I feed them two romaine lettuce leaves, some lambs lettuce, radicchio and frisée lettuce, kale or rocket. Quantity fills a plastic takeaway tub.
Is this too much/too little??
What else can they have?
Oh my poor torts.