Hello from Florida!

StephjShank

I skipped introducing myself a few days ago, so here I am! New Sulcata owner, picked up the 67lb kiddo at a pet store in deplorable conditions. I've spent the last few days in a crash course trying to soak in as much info as I can. I'm a veterinarian technician for small breed (cats and dogs) and had absolutely no knowledge in tortoise care- just saw this huge poor tortoise and had to get it out.

I am so thankful this forum exists :)

11056589_10204589890247037_6939951245408701661_o.jpg 11698949_10204591049396015_688903212026516823_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! ! You did a great deed. Now he is huge but not poor anymore! ! ! ! !

You can go to the sulcata section of the forum to get all kinds of information.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After seeing the pictures of the wire you buried, I revise my opinion from your other thread. That's not chicken wire, it's hardware cloth...a much stronger fencing material. Chicken wire is very flimsey and would not withstand the sulcata's digging at it. Hardware cloth MAY stand up a little longer, but if he can get a claw into it, he may be able to pull it away from the wood.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a proper warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
What a beautiful tortoise he is.

StephjShank

After seeing the pictures of the wire you buried, I revise my opinion from your other thread. That's not chicken wire, it's hardware cloth...a much stronger fencing material. Chicken wire is very flimsey and would not withstand the sulcata's digging at it. Hardware cloth MAY stand up a little longer, but if he can get a claw into it, he may be able to pull it away from the wood.

Clearly I don't know the difference between chicken wire and anything else! I still call my cattle fence chicken wire. So far, its held up, but he hasn't been outside full time since I haven't finished the entire perimeter. Thanks :)