Hello from Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cephalopodia

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. This is my new redfoot, Bert. We live in Georgia.

Attachments

• bertb.jpg
    bertb.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 18

Cephalopodia

5 Year Member
Having a lot of fun with him, so far. Does a lot of head bobbing...haven't read anything other than males doing similar during mating. Anyone know why such a young tortoise would behave like this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hello there, Cephalopodia:

Are you into clams and mollusks?

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

The head bobbing just might be normal breathing. Babies tend to push their front legs in and out with each breath, and sometimes it involves a head bob.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Their rib cages can't expand, so they do things like use their arms, throat, head bobbing, etc. to force air in and out.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Probably normal...
what is his normal diet.. ? there is a great thread here that spells out a good diet for them..

Cephalopodia

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcomes. Emysemys, I'm a biology student interested in inverts...something about the cuttlefish and their relatives really catches my curiosity. You can call me Scott, though.

The guy I got Bert from fed 'em Mazuri and greens...I thought I'd try to follow the advice given at the tortoise library for his diet. He seemed to enjoy my spring mix, although it looked like the carrots were more popular than the greens.

The head bob does appear to be a part of breathing. Is this buccal pumping like found in amphibians? Is this just something done buy juvenile tortoises while the shell hardens? Thanks for any answers in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not exactly sure, but all babies do it. I think it actually helps them breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.