Hello from Leo & Shelby!

Shelbylengyel

5 Year Member
Hey! I am Shelby and I have had my russian tort for about a year and a half! I couldn't tell what sex it was but I now strongly think it is a boy! So, he went from Lila to Leo :p I got him from a Petsmart where they told me he was 6 months. I brought him to the vet and got him his parasite medicine. He has been a happy tort since! I believe all is well with him other than I think the bulb during the day that I'm using for a basking light it too hot. Leo has dryer skin and it was flaking so I have started soaking him more again and when I do his skin looks better but then the next couple of days it'll be flaky again! So, I am thinking it has to be the bulb. I'm just so worried about him being too cold. The night time bulb is a 75 watt but the day one is much bigger so maybe that is the problem. Can anyone tell me how old they think he is. I think he HAS to be older than a year or two. I saw other russian torts in Italy when I visited and they were SO little and the owner said they were like 2-3 years old so I feel like Leo is much older than I was originally told. Here he is!

Attachments

• IMG_7436.jpg
    IMG_7436.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome to TFO I am not very experienced when it comes to Russian torts, so hopefully my experienced forum buddies can chime in and give you an informed reply. Again, welcome

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Your Russia. Is more like 3-5 years old. Closer to the 5 most likely. That's the ages of the petsmart/Petco Russians. Does your Russian have any humidity? At that age a 30-40% humidity would do him some good. I would try to give him a humid hide, making sure the hide is on the warm side of their temp range. You could also offer a non humid hide too. So he has choices.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you post temperatures,humidity in his enclosure we can help you with the skin problems. You should have four temperatures hot side ,cool side,basking spot and night time . You should be reading these temperatures by heat gun or a good thermometer. Welcome to the forum .

Shelbylengyel

5 Year Member
IMG_7580.JPGIMG_7581.JPGIMG_7582.jpgIMG_7584.jpgIMG_7585.JPGIMG_7586.jpgIMG_7587.jpgIMG_7588.jpgIMG_7593.JPGIMG_7594.jpgIMG_7599.jpgIMG_7600.jpgHere are some more pics that hopefully will be helpful. I turned off the basking lamp probably an hour or two before I took these pictures because I read that it just might be too hot and that's why Leo keeps scratching and climbing on everything. The home is about 3ft by 2ft I would say. I only use three lights. The UVB one all day with the basking one and then the red light at night. He does go to bathroom in his pool so I have a separate water dish. I know that carrots should only be fed once in a while but he hasn't been eating much. Also, I thought he was growing to fast for his shell and that I was feeding him more than I should be. I was feeding him twice a day and now I am only feeding him once a day and it isn't as much food. I've started using the coconut soil for more humidity because I thought the bark was absorbing too much of it and making it too hot and dry. What can I do for more humidity because I don't want him to be cold or get the sniffles? Thanks for everyones help!

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't keep Russians so I am only commenting going by what I've learned reading here. I do not believe that you should be providing heat overnight. I think they need cool temps overnight, but again I do not own Russians. So hopefully someone else will chime in on this.