Leo@2024

Location (City and/or State)
Newport Kentucky
My wittle baby Leo/Louie has me so worried and fretting over him. My son and daughter in law gave us a 5/6 month old Calcutta he was the size of 1/2 dollar when they purchased him he has grown a inch or less in the last few weeks we have had him or her. I love this little guy so much already especially after seeing the adult ones at the zoo, made me realize I need to take care of him until he is grown. However, my kids didn’t explain it was so much work when they are babies, my husband seems to think I baby him to much lol. I just don’t want to harm him! I know he needs more space and gradually purchasing/building him a warmer bigger more moist home to grow in. He is so precious he know’s when we come in he perks right up! Like a baby look at me.
However my little baby Leo has developed white eyelids! It’s worrying me soooooo much, first the left and then the right. I soak him twice daily, and now mist him (does not like it)! I know they need water and hydration, inside out! I feel like I should take him to the vet? Picture on left is so enlarged he was like 6 weeks, other picture was yesterday! Just added another photo enlarged of his little face.
All thought and opinion is greatly appreciated.
Leo@2024

Attachments

• IMG_8016.png
    IMG_8016.png
    394.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8020.jpeg
    IMG_8020.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8050.png
    IMG_8050.png
    709.6 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That looks like a sulcata not sure why you wrote Calcutta?
Anyway, he needs a closed chamber enclosure with humidity of 80% temps all over of 80-85 and basking area of 95-100, he needs this now.
The proper light is a tube florescent for uvb, an incandescent flood bulb 65 watt for basking and ceramic heat emitter s for added day heat and night heat.
A low sided clay saucer is needed for drinking and self soaking.
Substrate should be orchid or fir bark or coconut coir of combo of them.
All this needs to be inside the closed chamber enclosure.
The eyes may be from improper bulbs being used and/or too dry.
Get changes made ASAP.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum. Please try to make the changes mentioned, they are crucial to his survival and healthy growth. Feel free to ask any questions, we are here to help!

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your baby's eyes are swollen shut. He's probably not warm enough, and hasn't eaten in a while. Please read our care sheet:

It's very important that you make changes ASAP. The baby is in dire straights.