Hello from Miami, Florida. Meet my tortoises :)

Nolan1992

My Baby Redfoots Milo and Rafaela and my Russian Bowser :)

Attachments

• 1798686_1387046491567844_2015002501_n.jpg
    1798686_1387046491567844_2015002501_n.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 1959272_1391746627764497_1124628486_n.jpg
    1959272_1391746627764497_1124628486_n.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 77

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nolan, and welcome to the Forum!

Poor Bowser...he's suffering from an identity crisis. I'm thinking he's a Hermanni tortoise in disguise.

At any rate, your tortoises look very good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is the most attractive and unique "Russian" tortoise I've ever seen! :)

Hello and welcome.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Nolan welcome to the TFO from AZ . They are right Nolan it's not a Russian it's a herrman tort . But it's a great lookin tort .

Nolan1992

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Nolan welcome to the TFO from AZ . They are right Nolan it's not a Russian it's a herrman tort . But it's a great lookin tort .

Well when I bought him earlier this year, I it was from petsmart and they told me he was Russian because they only sell Russian tortoises at petsmart. Are you sure he is a herrman tort?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You can trust the posts above, they know more about tortoises than all the pets mart employes combined. I would say you got a good deal. Now you can find out how to care for him as best as you can.

Nolan1992

motero said:
You can trust the posts above, they know more about tortoises than all the pets mart employes combined. I would say you got a good deal. Now you can find out how to care for him as best as you can.

Luckily, they are similarly taken care of. Thank you everyone for your input.

Dorrie Siu

Nolan1992 said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

Well when I bought him earlier this year, I it was from petsmart and they told me he was Russian because they only sell Russian tortoises at petsmart. Are you sure he is a herrman tort?

Petsmart told me the same thing. But I found out she was a Hermanns too. When my friend got one a week later, she was told hers was a Greek and hers is a Russian.

Boy, were WE confused! But I learned from here that mine is indeed a Hermanns. :)

Nolan1992

Dorrie Siu said:
Nolan1992 said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

Petsmart told me the same thing. But I found out she was a Hermanns too. When my friend got one a week later, she was told hers was a Greek and hers is a Russian.

Boy, were WE confused! But I learned from here that mine is indeed a Hermanns. :)

Wow, well at least I know now. Looks like I got a hermanns for a good deal then :) Thank you for the info

LABZOO

Nolan1992 said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

ALWAYS double check whatever a pet store employee tells you (esp Petsmart). Under no circumstance should you take advice regarding a living, breathing creature before doing your own research. There will always be conflicting views, but holding a single view and just accepting it because another human told you will get you no where fast and is terrible logic in the first place. It is appauling and unnacceptable how undertrained the staff are at most of these "pet stores". The only "pet stores" I will even think about going to are all specialty stores which are hard to find but worth your effort. Man I wish commercial pet stores would stop selling exotics- just my op. bc they are terrible at it.

HJ1983

New York City
I got my Killer from Petsmart. They didn't know what he was. All they knew was that his label said "Testudo". But the lovely people here set it straight. He's a Russian. Lovely babies you have there.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Now we got the species correct. Congratulations.

This is a great place to learn and share. Good to have you here.

Dorrie Siu

LABZOO said:
ALWAYS double check whatever a pet store employee tells you (esp Petsmart). Under no circumstance should you take advice regarding a living, breathing creature before doing your own research. There will always be conflicting views, but holding a single view and just accepting it because another human told you will get you no where fast and is terrible logic in the first place. It is appauling and unnacceptable how undertrained the staff are at most of these "pet stores". The only "pet stores" I will even think about going to are all specialty stores which are hard to find but worth your effort. Man I wish commercial pet stores would stop selling exotics- just my op. bc they are terrible at it.

It's really sad because after I got mine, I went back to another PetSmart because my friend wanted one there. They told me that it was a Greek (it was a Russian). When I had a confused look on my face, the gal admitted that it could be a Russian OR a Greek. She said that they send them in a box with no label and they get what they get. I feel sorry for the employees because they are stuck not really knowing and this poor girl felt put on the spot when I said "But don't Greeks look like.....?"

:(

Nolan1992

Well now Bowser knows his true identity. :) He is very active and doing great. Thanks again everyone.