Hello from Portland!

BeccaBaggs

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Hello! My name is Becca, I'm 21 years old and live in Portland, OR. I got my Russian tortoise, Percival, for my 18th birthday, and have had him for 3 years. Percy is 5 years old. He is a sassy little guy who enjoys being outside on warm days, naps under his blanket, and attempting to crawl out of his box. He is pretty picky with his food, but mostly enjoys eating romaine lettuce, apples, and kale. I am very excited to learn more Russian tortoises on here and share my questions with you all!

-Becca

Attachments

• 2011-06-28 19.48.26.jpg
    2011-06-28 19.48.26.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians are something else they're great

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Russians are fun.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome to the group. RTs are so charming!

If you offer him a wide variety of good food he will become less picky. There are so many tasty fresh weeds and flowers available to take advantage of now. Fruit is not good for them, so stop feeding apples even though he loves it. The sugar can't be digested properly & causes gut problems, and that can make a picky eater even pickier.

yillt

Hi. I don't know a great deal on Russians but is your tortoise big for his age? :);) Either way he looks really healthy. Welcome to the forum.

BeccaBaggs

Portland, OR
Thanks! Thanks for the tip about the apples, I had no idea! He isn't too big for his age, but he has grown a lot since we first got him.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Welcome :)

Your tort needs a varied diet of leafy greens. Look up the ones you can find for free outside and those you can buy in the grocery store on The Tortoise Table Plant Database tosee which ones are good to feed. They can be really picky, so you have to be a bit tough and resist the urge to only feed the favourites.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp