hello from Taiwan

peta08

hi everyone! this is peta from taipei, taiwan. (the [shift] on my keyboard isn't working, so please forgive me for not capitalizing properly and my frequent typos in english as it is my second language... :)

i was researching on building an indoor enclosure for my two girls. da-da (which means biggy in mandarin) a russian tort, and shao-shao (small-y) sulcata, then i came upon the tortoise forum, and felt i should sign up. no, i'm not going to put them together. and no, shao-shao isn't small anymore.

the naming process took about two seconds for both of them. da-da came first when i was studying in the states. i bought her from a pet store (i know...), and since she was an adult already, i called her da-da, which when you say it in high pitch, it sounds cheerful, at least.... i fell in love with tortoises quickly, they are so humorous in their own way! two years later i saw shao-shao at the san jose reptile show, and immediately brought it (her as later found out) home, little did i know what i got myself into.

after i finished school, i moved back to taiwan, and felt obligated bringing them with me too. i and my ex-partner went through the tedious, very expensive and long process of quarantine, cites paper works, export/import, and custom, two girls were finally home. then i realized what a more preferable environment for tortoises it was back in the states. it is humid here in taipei, rains a lot. apartments and less houses usually don't come with adequate yards. parks are scarce where torts can roam freely.

i'm trying to make up to them, providing diet and space, taking them outside whenever weather permitted, because we'll be happily ever after for the rest of our lives.

Attachments

• IMGP0318-2.jpg
    IMGP0318-2.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP0277-2.jpg
    IMGP0277-2.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Peta, and welcome to the Forum!

Well, you've got your work cut out for you, raising two tortoises in an apartment. But it can be done, and I wish you all the luck in the world. I love both the picture you posted.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
peta08 said:
hi everyone! this is peta from taipei, taiwan. (the [shift] on my keyboard isn't working, so please forgive me for not capitalizing properly and my frequent typos in english as it is my second language... :)

i was researching on building an indoor enclosure for my two girls. da-da (which means biggy in mandarin) a russian tort, and shao-shao (small-y) sulcata, then i came upon the tortoise forum, and felt i should sign up. no, i'm not going to put them together. and no, shao-shao isn't small anymore.

the naming process took about two seconds for both of them. da-da came first when i was studying in the states. i bought her from a pet store (i know...), and since she was an adult already, i called her da-da, which when you say it in high pitch, it sounds cheerful, at least.... i fell in love with tortoises quickly, they are so humorous in their own way! two years later i saw shao-shao at the san jose reptile show, and immediately brought it (her as later found out) home, little did i know what i got myself into.

after i finished school, i moved back to taiwan, and felt obligated bringing them with me too. i and my ex-partner went through the tedious, very expensive and long process of quarantine, cites paper works, export/import, and custom, two girls were finally home. then i realized what a more preferable environment for tortoises it was back in the states. it is humid here in taipei, rains a lot. apartments and less houses usually don't come with adequate yards. parks are scarce where torts can roam freely.

i'm trying to make up to them, providing diet and space, taking them outside whenever weather permitted, because we'll be happily ever after for the rest of our lives.

Hello 您好!!!

欢迎加入TFO, 我也是台湾人!但在美国住了30年,也常常有机会回台湾。

You got some very nice looking Torts. The weather in Taiwan are perfect to rise Tortoise, It is a natural "Closed Chamber" 9 months out of a year, Very Hot and Humid. Only the winter time may need to kept them indoor.

Good to have you here. we Welcomes you here.