hello help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnartgirl

5 Year Member
The place I work has two different child care centers. And it turns out that sixteen years ago a teacher in the one I don't work for brought a small tortoise back in her pocket from Florida :(
anyway the teacher left the center a long time ago and emily the tortoise has been left to the turnover of teachers ever since. I had no idea that this tortoise wasn't being cared for properly. Never in the rooms over there.

Yesterday I walked past their rooms empty now because of summer, they stop we don't. and the lights are off and i notice her habitat in the dark room.
at first I thought they must have a different place for her at one of the teachers houses for the summer. (Never understood why a tortoise was in a childcare center to begin with)

Anyway i stopped and looked closer and she was in there!!! a air conditioned room with no light on. I immediately went in and looked her living conditions are horrible. she has an overgrown bottom beak and three large pieces of roman lettuce on the small chunk substrate floor. with a plastic igloo that takes up most of her cage that was literately falling apart.
I don't have a ton of knowledge on tortoises but enough smarts to know this was not okay. I took her home removed the substrate and put down temp newspaper (asked vet) and put a heat lamp over one corner.

hand fed her mustard greens two grapes and tried some carrot. She has trouble eating because of her beak.

Gave her a couple minutes in sun this morning until I get the uv light.

I am not sure if I will be her new owner or will keep her until I can find someone who will give her a great home but I figured my home was better than a cold room.

she is about 6" wide and 9-10" long with head out. How big of a area does she need? Tried to figure it out but still trying to identify species I think she is a california dessert tortoise. Will post picks soon.

Thanks

amanda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda, and welcome to the Forum!!

Unless you live on the west coast, I doubt the tortoise is a california desert tortoise. Here are a couple links to help you post pictures:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-68836.html

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45738.html

I'm so glad, for the tortoise's sake, that you were in the right place at the right time. Poor little animal. My spidey sense is telling me that you more than likely have a little box turtle, and not a tortoise. But we'll see when you can post pictures.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I love how you took initiative! If you really can't care for her please bring her to a rescue center right away. By taking the initiative I can tell you can be a great owner! Please take picture so people from this forums can give you ideas on what to do! So many people on this page had help me a lot and I want to return the favor in trying to help on my own ways!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I sure hope they took better care of the two legged under their care. This is outrageous. So glad you have such a big heart and common sense. Thank you on behalf of this tortoise for caring. Others will be able to better ID. It looks like it could be a Sulcata, but not positive. Good luck to the both of you.

mnartgirl

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply here are pics quickly before cage was completely cleaned out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 37

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Good save! I'd take that one home with me in a minute. Is this how they have treated this animal every summer?

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
Welcome! This tortoise is pyramided, which is not surprising with the poor treatment it was being subjected to. Also, wow, is that the beak? She looks more like a bird than a tortoise. It's amazing it survived. It will surely find better care on your hands.

I'm sad when I see animals that suffered like that. But that beak needs to be trimmed first. I would probably take it to a vet, my tortoise's beak never needs trimming so I have no idea if it can be done solo...

Also, your hand shows in the background, LOL! (not bad or anything, just an observation)

mnartgirl

5 Year Member
My cousin is a vet and helping me find some good options for care. It's not that I am not willing to take her in but if she needs a lot of special care I want to make sure it is something I can give her as an inexperienced owner, vet appointment is being scheduled soon just waiting to hear if my vet can help or if there is a better option a herp vet nearby

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Wow nice save. Where are you located? It does look like a florida gopher tortoise Gopherus Polyphemus. The beak is a simple fix you can get farrier tool for clipping horse hoofs snip some off and then proceed with a dremel. She needs to be outside It seems she has MBD and some pretty severe pyramiding. These guys also live in pretty deep burrows in florida and alabama. So outside with some nice topsoil mixed with sand and she should start diggin herself a burrow and feel right at home. The next thing is really where you are located because of winter conditions if you plan to keep her long term. Stick with the dark leafy greens, and get her on some grass to graze on.

mnartgirl

5 Year Member
Im in mn
so winters is differently indoors. If she is needing an outdoor pen I am not sure she should be in this state.

I have that fine substrate from coconut shell fiber that I was told would be good to have her in so she can dig

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Coco fiber will work. She can be outside during summer no problem. Ounce temps get around low 70s to high 60s she will need to come in. You might have some struggle with her during the winter with humidity. So if you have a basement that would be a great place for her in the winter. Keep in mind too. Sometimes they will dig burrows 8-10' deep. So keep an eye on her diggin in the backyard. That is the place to be for her definitely. They wont dig them super fast so its not like you will see a tunnel to "China" over a few hours time. Provide a good deal of shade too. These guys burrow under natives shrubs/ mangrove areas in Florida.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I couldn't believe I was seeing a gopher, so I sent a PM to Kelly(tortadise). Love it when he agrees with me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.