Hello I'm New

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Sooooo I've tried the Eco Earth and I now have one fed up tortoise - he hates it!

I've pressed it down firmly but it keeps coming loose and getting into his water bowl and his food. He really doesn't seem to be happy with the new substrate so I'm going to change back to the pellet substrate he was on before.

Temperamental tortoise lol
Please don't.

The substrate does come loose. It dies get dug up and it does get dragged into the water bowl.

You will not keep it tidy. Torts like it that way. You cannot be OCD with a picture perfect enclosure if you own a tortoise.

The substrate does need to be damp - tip water in and mix it with your hands - and then helps to keep it under control.

As an alternative try coco coir or orchid bark. Both can be bought from garden centres. They should be kept damp too.

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
That's why I changed to eco earth because of the advice on here but he's really not happy. I know how he usually is and he seems really peed off at having this damp substrate now. I don't mind about keeping his enclosure clean in the sense that the substrate is loose. He's just not happy with it being in his food and isn't eating what he would normally eat.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Just curious, what makes you think he is not happy? I am always in doubt about whether my tort is happy or not...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He will get used to it, but torts can take weeks to adapt to change. Make sure it's warm enough - cold and damp are not good - get some plants in (sink pots into the substrate) so he can browse and hide and he will adapt.

You are doing this for the long term health of your tort and sometimes that means putting up with a sulk.

If he isn't eating, make sure he gets a good 20-30 minute soak every day in warm water - use a high sided bowl. I prefer to do this first thing before he's warmed up properly

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
He just seems more grumpy than usual, if that's possible for a Russian tort? He's miserable and hissy at the best of times but he seems really annoyed at the change. I can't explain it but you know when you know how your animal appears to be feeling lol if that makes sense?

He has his dinner on a slate but because he's digging up the damp eco earth and because he loves to trample all over his food first it's now getting covered in dirt and I've watched him trying to pick "clean" looking bits out lol think I just have a temperamental tort :|

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Tortoises generally find change stressful - that makes sense for a territorial animal. But they'll get used to it. The pellets are not a good substrate. Don't change back to them. If you really don't like the coir, you can add a thick layer of orchid/fir or cypress bark on top. That will keep the coir from sticking.

(The hissing sound they make isn't an active hiss, by the way. It's just air being displaced when they rapidly pull their heads it. It means he was startled.)

Last edited:

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
Wow ok - you learn something new every day - I just thought he was a very miffed off tortoise (he's always done it, even when we're holding him and he's aware we're there).

Ok - I'll have a look for some cypress bark to put on top.

Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wow ok - you learn something new every day - I just thought he was a very miffed off tortoise (he's always done it, even when we're holding him and he's aware we're there).

Ok - I'll have a look for some cypress bark to put on top.

Thanks
Yes, the hiss is normal. A shell can't expand and contract like your chest can. So when a tort pulls their head in suddenly, they expel air quickly and hiss and when they breathe, the head bobs.

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
Is it also normal for a tort to try and bite you? lol as in, if you leave any appendage, finger or toe, in front of Puck, he'll happily try to bite it off for you lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is it also normal for a tort to try and bite you? lol as in, if you leave any appendage, finger or toe, in front of Puck, he'll happily try to bite it off for you lol
Some are biters. They do it see off trespassers and they do it to the females they like too. Some are worse than others.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Don't worry, my girl is a biter too. She likes to follow my hands around her enclosure in an attempt to get me out of her territory. She's better when she gets to go outside (more room = happier tort).

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I have a biter too. Well, he's too slow to get anyone, but he tries biting any intruder. Some species are more prone to biting, it seems, but there is a lot of individual variation.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

I don't know whether it is normal or not for a tort to bite you, but OLI (my beloved Greek tort) bit me once, whilst I was hand-feeding him as he refuses to eat alone. Since then I have been very cautious.

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
Thanks Gillian. In all honesty, he's never actually managed to bite me but he likes to attempt to through the glass. If you hold your finger there he will go mad trying to get at you. Silly little thing he is lol