new to torts

julie123

Hi all! I have always loved reptiles and have had various lizards and a box turtle in the past. My daughter (13yr) and I were at a reptile show in San Diego last July and fell in love with the baby tortoises. We went home with a 3 week old marginated tortoise to add to our zoo with 2 bearded dragons, 2 cats, and a dog. We relocated to Montana, near Glacier Park and the Canadian border. Culture shock for everyone! I miss the people at LLL Reptile in Oceanside CA and the various other experts in the area - it is lonely in the herp arena here! I was really happy to find this. I have been looking at this site for a few months, and finally decided to join. I love my little marginated guy. His name is Sam. He is eating well, growing a lot, very active. He is in a Zoo Med tortoise pen. I am having a difficult time with the humidity. I'm planning on adding a closed hide with sphagnum moss to help with this. I am thinking of changing the substrate from zoo med's eco earth to top soil with coconut coir fiber, but can't find any topsoil without additives. Any suggestions? btw - I'm changing substrates because I'm bored. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Get some dirt from your yard if you have not treated it with anything.

Nolan1992

Welcome, eco earth is coconut coir by the way. Just letting you know so you don't spend money on something you already have

julie123

Thanks! :) We just moved here, and I don't know if chemicals have been used.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to our Forum, Julie!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Julie welcome to the TFO from AZ . So when do we get to see Picts of your new baby and it's enclosure ?

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Welcome, where in San Diego was the

Blue (European hunt-mix dog)
Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I meant to ask where in San Diego you got your baby? I'm in SD I hope you like your new place. Please post pics. I would love to see them.

Blue (European hunt-mix dog)
Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. Good to have you here. You will post your little marginated tortoise soon right?

Now you are here in the forum and we will keep you company, this is a great place to learn and share. welcome.

Reactions: Evy