Hello Tortoise Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon7800

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Simon, i'm looking at getting a tortoise for my partners daughter. She is 7 years old, anyone got any advice they can give me on whats best and easiest to look after etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D Russians or Hermanns seem to be the consensus when someone asks. I think Greeks might also be on that first tort list.

pfrancisco1977

5 Year Member
simon7800 said:
Hi my name is Simon, i'm looking at getting a tortoise for my partners daughter. She is 7 years old, anyone got any advice they can give me on whats best and easiest to look after etc.
Hello Simon I am also new here I own a sulcata tortoise, which are easy to raise but beware the get BIG, males can reach 150lbs+ a good tortoise to start with would maybe be a Russin Tortoise they grow up too be around 25 bls and are small, Lepoard torts are beautiful specimens but are on the pricey side but need lots of humidity. In short navigate around the forum and tak in as much as possible. ttyl

Attachments

• htc desire 1379.jpg
    htc desire 1379.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 9

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Simon:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You need to think about where you are located and your climate. That is a BIG factor in the decision as to what kind of tortoise to get. If the tortoise is going to have to live most of its life indoors because of the weather, then you want a smaller species, and one that does well indoors. Most tortoises belong outside, and do better outside.

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.