hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilelover

5 Year Member
my name is alex. i'm 14 and i live in grand rapids Michigan. i have become very interested in tortoises lately and i think i'm going to purchase one. i have many lizards including 2 bearded dragons, 3 leopard geckos, 1 green iguana, 1 veiled chameleon, 3 bahama anoles, and a chinchilla. i have kept many turtles before but never a tortoise. i think i'm going to go for a sulcata, for i have a large room in my basment for it to live. thanks a bunch,
alex

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Welcome! You sound like quite the herpophile! Before getting any tortoise though, make sure you know what type of setup they need. What were you planning on rigging for your sulcata? :)

reptilelover

5 Year Member
thanks. and yes i am :). my dad and i are working on a large wall system to keep my reptiles in. and i have an open cage that 5 feet long and 2 feet wide that i am planning on using for the cage until it outgrows it, and then i am going to let it roam the room i think. i know someone who lets there sulcata roam a room, and has a corner with a large bin full of subsrate a large water bowl and a light, and it has worked pretty good so i think im going o do that. And i agree i think i have quite a bit more research to do.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't think that is a good idea at all. Basement floors are cold, and putting a reptile on a cold floor is a recipe for sickness.

Also, there would be no way to keep that entirely sanitary. Sulcata, especially large ones, defecate quite a bit. Not to mention the amount of urine they produce. Easily over a pint for a decently large tort...and that is during one elimination.

Please, do some more research. If it is your first tortoise, I would suggest one of the smaller, hardier species. Sullys can be touchy, and you almost always have to start with a baby, and babies are very difficult. Trust me. As a new owner, you will make mistakes that can easily kill a hatchling tortoise. Adults have a higher capacity to bounce back. I started with an adult, and then worked my way down. I'm really glad I did. Its a learning process for sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alex:

486113rp2xydmr7k.jpg

to the forum!!

Its not a good idea to think about getting a sulcata unless you have a very large yard and good weather for at least half of the year. Keeping a sulcata in the basement would be the same as having a miniature cow living down there. Large poops and gallons of pee.

Also, they require an expensive UV light in order for their shell to grow strong and healthy (or the sun). Its much easier to keep a smaller species of tortoise indoors than it is a Sulcata.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! I would just like to echo the sentiments of the other members. It may be easier to start with a species that is more suited to living indoors. Given your age it can be expected that you may move away from home at some point and it would be difficult if you had a HUGE species like the sulcata to have to worry about relocating. I would agree that sulcata are awesome, as I have a hatchling right now, but I did wait until I was in a situation where I knew would have the space when he gets to be full size. Good luck with your research, you will surely learn a lot on the forum.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome, Alex. I hope you find the right kind of tortoise for your time and space! Happy shopping.:D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum Alex. I commend you for doing your research first. You sound like a mature bright 14 year old and I am sure your parents are proud of you being so responsible. I suggest you continue your research. There are Lots and lots of tort species and subspecies and many take different types of care. I researched over a year before I chose my tort and I am so glad I did. One thing that is important is that you have a vet that knows the species of tortoise you decide on close by and that you can provide it with all it's needs, but I am sure you already know that. Good luck in you research and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Oh and you may want to think about a rescue rather than a purchase. Lots of Torts out there that need good homes, and usually they are free or the fee is minimal. :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! I think all I have to add on this subject is that just because someone else does it doesn't mean it is the best condition for the animal's well being nor easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.