Hello

Kriskra

Location (City and/or State)
San Marcos, Texas
Hello! I’m not sure if this is where I should post this I’m still trying to learn the site. I’m a first time tortoise owner! I have been stalking the site for a while learning as much as possible. I just received a young adult eastern Hermann’s tortoise in the mail from Tortoise Supply. There is obviously something going on with its shell. Can anyone help diagnose and hopefully help with treatment?

Attachments

• IMG_5410.jpeg
    IMG_5410.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5409.jpeg
    IMG_5409.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5408.jpeg
    IMG_5408.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello! I’m not sure if this is where I should post this I’m still trying to learn the site. I’m a first time tortoise owner! I have been stalking the site for a while learning as much as possible. I just received a young adult eastern Hermann’s tortoise in the mail from Tortoise Supply. There is obviously something going on with its shell. Can anyone help diagnose and hopefully help with treatment?
I am rather surprised that Tyler would have sold you that tortoise without disclosing that shell problem to you. Perhaps he didn't notice it.

It is an older injury or infection which has gotten under the scutes and has damaged the underlying bone. It will get better with treatment by a good vet. If not treated, it is not life-threatening, but may cause the scute(s) to fall off revealing scarred bone underneath.

Do you know of a good reptile vet near you? Or you could pressure Tyler to take it back and give you one which is 100% healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No treatment required - superficial previous damage. But, aside from that, his shell looks very dry wth no luster. I think he would benefit from having a topical rubbed into the shell . . . something like cold pressed coconut oil. Then get him on a healthy, good, varied diet to get a natural luster to the shell.

Kriskra

San Marcos, Texas
I am rather surprised that Tyler would have sold you that tortoise without disclosing that shell problem to you. Perhaps he didn't notice it.

It is an older injury or infection which has gotten under the scutes and has damaged the underlying bone. It will get better with treatment by a good vet. If not treated, it is not life-threatening, but may cause the scute(s) to fall off revealing scarred bone underneath.

Do you know of a good reptile vet near you? Or you could pressure Tyler to take it back and give you one which is 100% healthy.

No I don’t know of one yet. Should I be concerned about the white patches in the third picture? I thought shell rot could cause lifting of scutes and expose bony tissue and cause white patches. Sorry I just want to make sure it’s not shell rot. Great news if it is an old injury and not life threatening. I will be contacting Tyler for a discount.

Thanks

Reactions: Ink

Kriskra

San Marcos, Texas
No treatment required - superficial previous damage. But, aside from that, his shell looks very dry wth no luster. I think he would benefit from having a topical rubbed into the shell . . . something like cold pressed coconut oil. Then get him on a healthy, good, varied diet to get a natural luster to the shell.
Thank you! I am glad to hear that you feel no treatment is required and I’ll starting working on the shell. Are the white patches in the third picture normal?

Kriskra

San Marcos, Texas
Another picture of white spots.

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5413.png
    IMG_5413.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5413.png
    IMG_5413.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would contact tortoise supply and get a new tortoise. My opinion.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
personally I would try to get some back back, but keep the tortoise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks to me to be normal wear and tear - scraping his shell on a hard surface as he walks under it.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm not an expert but there seems to be a large crack in the very first picture with top layer of shell missing. However you paid for the tortoise, so it is completely up to you. Whatever you are comfortable with doing. Maybe share your concerns with the seller?

Kriskra

San Marcos, Texas

Hello, I just wanted to let you know I spoke with Tyler and he said the tortoise was sent by his teenage son by mistake. He offered to pay for a return label and said he would send me a different tortoise. I have decided to keep him though because it just didn’t feel right sending him back. Thanks for your help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tyler and his lovely wife Sarah are terrific people. No one is perfect, and I'm not the least bit surprised that he offered to do the right thing for you. He rarely makes mistakes, and always takes responsibility when he does. I've never seen one exception to that.

I agree with Zovick and Yvonne, that that is old superficial damage and nothing to worry about. I don't see the white spots you are referring to. I see lighter colored areas that are just normal wear and tear for an adult tortoise that is living outdoors.

Shell rot occurs on the plastron and is due to wet conditions. Typically only red foot or yellow foot tortoises get this. Other species almost never get it.

Kriskra

San Marcos, Texas
Tyler and his lovely wife Sarah are terrific people. No one is perfect, and I'm not the least bit surprised that he offered to do the right thing for you. He rarely makes mistakes, and always takes responsibility when he does. I've never seen one exception to that.

I agree with Zovick and Yvonne, that that is old superficial damage and nothing to worry about. I don't see the white spots you are referring to. I see lighter colored areas that are just normal wear and tear for an adult tortoise that is living outdoors.

Shell rot occurs on the plastron and is due to wet conditions. Typically only red foot or yellow foot tortoises get this. Other species almost never get it.
Thanks Tom, The white patches I was referring to are circled in the pictures attached. They look to be under the shell and my concern was that they will start lifting and cracking like the one with the hole. I’m sure they are lovely people, he did offer for me to return the tortoise but now I’m waiting to see if he will give me a discount. I believe that would be the right thing to do. Not only is this tortoises shell in bad shape but he also doesn’t look very healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_5408.jpeg
    IMG_5408.jpeg
    917.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5409.jpeg
    IMG_5409.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks Tom, The white patches I was referring to are circled in the pictures attached. They look to be under the shell and my concern was that they will start lifting and cracking like the one with the hole. I’m sure they are lovely people, he did offer for me to return the tortoise but now I’m waiting to see if he will give me a discount. I believe that would be the right thing to do. Not only is this tortoises shell in bad shape but he also doesn’t look very healthy.
If you have that many concerns about this animal's health and the shell issues, why not simply return it free of charge and get a new one as he offered (very nice gesture by Tyler)? If you keep it, you are just starting yourself off with a handicap, discount or not.

Worse case scenario, you could end up with a discounted dead animal if you keep it. Is it worth getting a discount to take that chance? It wouldn't be to me, but I have been raising turtles and tortoises since the 1950's and know most of the pitfalls fairly well by now.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would do an exchange while you can. Especially since it's not doing well. Either way you will miss it, however I'm sure they will be able to rehab the tortoise.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Please read the forums on how to keep your tortoise. Correct setup is critical for best growth and welfare inc heat, light, diet, substrate, enclosure, calcium, soaks etc...
Shell rot tends to be underneath. The tortoise has lived a bumpy life. Shells grow but damage may show for a while or forever. If your not sure exchange it as offered, otherwise give it a fantastic set up and care. I recommend soaks to help hydration and and gently rub coconut oil on the shell to help moisturise.

Kriskra

San Marcos, Texas
If you have that many concerns about this animal's health and the shell issues, why not simply return it free of charge and get a new one as he offered (very nice gesture by Tyler)? If you keep it, you are just starting yourself off with a handicap, discount or not.

Worse case scenario, you could end up with a discounted dead animal if you keep it. Is it worth getting a discount to take that chance? It wouldn't be to me, but I have been raising turtles and tortoises since the 1950's and know most of the pitfalls fairly well by now.
Thank you for your advice. I am no longer concerned about the animal or shell thanks to others on the site. I am fine with a handicap tortoise. The reason for my first post was to make sure the issues were not life threatening. I posted the second and third pics because I was really just curious as to what the white patches were and Tom mentioned he didn’t see white patches so I was wanting to point them out so if he knew he could enlighten me.

Kriskra

San Marcos, Texas
Please read the forums on how to keep your tortoise. Correct setup is critical for best growth and welfare inc heat, light, diet, substrate, enclosure, calcium, soaks etc...
Shell rot tends to be underneath. The tortoise has lived a bumpy life. Shells grow but damage may show for a while or forever. If your not sure exchange it as offered, otherwise give it a fantastic set up and care. I recommend soaks to help hydration and and gently rub coconut oil on the shell to help moisturise.

Thank you!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Our offer to swap this tortoise out stands to this day, I will pay all the shipping to replace it. My son misunderstood which enclosure I told him it was in, I had one separated for this shipment but he took from the wrong enclosure only knowing it was a hermanns tortoise. We have a lot of tortoises here, many of them aren't perfect with dings or wear marks or missing a toenail. Those are supposed to be off limits for shipments unless a buyer it made aware of it, this time he just grabbed from the wrong enclosure. This tortoise was housed outside here, it's raised in a very 'natural' way. They don't get back rubs with coconut oil (that would be a disaster for an outdoor tortoise in a dusty environment, and would make it significantly hotter when the sun hits it). It's 115 degrees here in the summers with almost no humidity, so our larger ones can tend to have a 'dry' look, although they thrive and breed well in these conditions. They spend much of the summer buried (aestivating) in a cool spot near a bush or covered with dust or a little mud cap on their shells to keep the sun off.

I'm not always home from work in time to ship before UPS comes at 3 for the daily pickup. My son (Mack) also does 95% of the supply orders and has for a long time, so he is very experienced with the shipping, but I'm the one dealing with the customers and telling him what animals need to be shipped.

Last edited: