Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creampuffs

5 Year Member
Just found this forum hoping it's active.

I was given this tortoise by a teenager as a gift and I have NO clue what it is or how to feed it... All I do have is this sun lightbulb that he said was mandatory for an inside tort...

Any tips would be appreciated... I'm at a loss for food or where to purchase them or even vitamens... I will try and post a picture because I have no idea what kind of tort he is.. or if that makes a difference.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the picture in your avatar is the pic of your tort it is a sulcata. He will get very large, needs to live outside when temps permit and eats all kinds of weeds, grass, opuntia cactus, flowers such as hibicus, roses, rose of Sharon, Timothy or orchard hay, etc. Also needs water available 24/7 in a container large enough for him to get in and out of and deep enough to cover upto where is bottom shell and top shell meets or a little more. There will be other advice soon.

BTW, WELCOME:D. This is a very active forum and very wiling to help you, just ask.:D

Creampuffs

5 Year Member
Oh my then I have him in a bad environment... I have the timothy but his water is not big enough..

haha... I'll go research the name you listed.. thank you..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Sweet name you have there. :D For my young sulcata, I like the coir (Bead-a-beast) mixed in with about 20% or less children's play sand. As they get older, then I switch to the cypress mulch. So now that you have read a little bit about the sulcata, are you worried about the future large size or anything? Guess I am wondering, would you ever have chosen this species for yourself?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello there, Creampuffs. Welcome to the Forum.

Creampuffs

5 Year Member
Thank you I will go get some tonight when my husband wakes up.

Being he will be so HUGE.. I wouldn't have chosen him or her as a pet honestly. However now that I have him or her I want to make sure they are taken care of to the best of my abilities. In the future if a home appeared for "nerdy" then so be that. Until now I'm going to try and make a good one.

(The idea of owning a 150lb tort scares me at the moment.. doesn't mean that won't change in the future)

I do think he/she is dehydrated really bad because of the white stool or whatever that is.

I looked at the Bed and beast but can't find it at a petstore.. maybe it's a homedepot item or something.. I will keep looking.
It seems I also need to buy him some bushes or roses.

So i have alot of shopping to do quickly.. haha
I live in kentucky so I have to decide whether he can be outside least in the spring time or fall..

He was given to me in one of those blue kiddy pools so that is where he is now with his timothy. However I was never told or did I know he needed water.. He had drinking water but that was all..

I was given some Rep Cal Phosphorous free powder to sprinkle on his food and I have always done that so hopefully that has helped some...

Thanks for the comment on my name. I love creampuffs ;)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi! Welcome :) this is a great forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Normally you find Bed-A-Beast in pet stores. It comes in a compressed brick, is in a square package and is composed of coconut coir. Ask one of the sales people. I'm sure they have it.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Most pet stores don't seem to have Bed A Beast anymore, but a LOT of them have the ZooMed brand. I think it's called EcoEarth

Creampuffs

5 Year Member
Well back from the store I got the bedding, more timothy.. some cactus and a container for water that he/she can climb into whenever they want. YAY!!!! I also got the uv light cause all I had was the heat lamp... thank God I took him outside for walks..

Thank you all for the help I'll get some pics up after I get the kids registered in there school orientations.

Thanks again ;)
B~

Status
Not open for further replies.