Help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks ALOT crazy1, I will get some seed mix then. ;) I keep mine indoors all the time, because it will get stolen outside. Is it ok just to feed him a fue bits and peaces of food after i come home from work? because when i put some in his tort table in the mornings they just dry up SO fast.

Thanks again. ;)

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Crazy1 said:
Cam, I give my Greeks timothy hay or orchard hay dry, No they don't like to eat it that way but I do grind it (in my coffee grinder-used only for tort food, cause I quit drinking coffee :rolleyes:) and dust it on their food for fiber reasons especially in the winter months when they are inside.

Great idea...I suppose since our guy is never going to be outside grazing I should do the ground hay year round...

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I still don't think it would be good for them, or tastey lol, can i just buy a little bit from the pet shop and give it a go?, what they use for rabbits ;)

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Also mine don't eat green grass from out side, so i don't know about dry hay, i will just try.[/align]

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Remember dried greens and hay can still be eaten. My hatchling likes greens as well wet or dry In the wild alot of time they must eat dried weeds and greens in the summertime. And if they aren't so keen on them dry just grind them and sprinkle them on their wet greens like a supplement. Just do not feed old or moldy greens to your torts.

Shaun what is the humidity in his habitat? As I recall you are in the UK and your tort is a Greek right?
How big is it now lenght (straightline front to back) and what is its weight? If you post Pics I,m sure Chris or egyptiandan would be glad to help you identify what type of greek and where it would come from if in the wild. That way you have a better understanding of its natural habitat (heat,cold, humidity, rain levels etc.) That often makes it easier to set up the best habitat and foods for your Greek.

Cam don't suppose it would hurt to do it year round. I have occasionally seen my adult Greeks munching on their green weeds and be chewing a piece of dry timothy hay with it, but only when I am using it in their habitat as a hide or substrate. So I do grind mine.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My tort is from africa "morroco", so his humidiy is dry, and his temps are hot under his uv mega ray bulb, don't know i will go and check soon, hot side and cold.

He/she is 6.5cm long, and 5.5 wide, i don't know the weight of it.

Here are some pics,

Picture031.jpg

Picture027-1.jpg

Picture024.jpg

P7080029.jpg

P7050008.jpg

P7050006.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Theres the pics of my little tort. ;)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
llllshaunllll said:
I still don't think it would be good for them, or tastey lol, can i just buy a little bit from the pet shop and give it a go?, what they use for rabbits ;)

Your tort is a sweetie, Loved the pictures. I get my hay from a pet store it is usually in the rabbit section I get timothy or orchard hay, do not use alfala. I grind it and sprinkle it on their food. Like a vitamin supplement. You can also buy TNT which you can get from http://carolinapetsupply.com It has a lot of ground nutrition in it including hay.
Lots of folks seem to like it for there torts.
My Greeks are from Jordon-Lebanon area they also have a dry humidity and like warm-hot temps but you want to make sure they are in the right temps and humidity.
A temperature gradient of 75° - 85° F should be provided with a basking area of about 95° F. Nighttime temperatures can be allowed to drop to 75° F. I try and keep humidity to about 30% to 40%
And I check these stats daily.

Shaun Just a suggestion. I put together a binder that I have copied a lot of info for my tort. Like what foods are good, what are toxic. What the temp and humidity of their habitat is, what their favorite foods are. What their weight and length are which I do weekly for hatchlings and monthly for adults. When I soak them-actually I set up a chart for weight, length and soaks. When they go to the vet I have a record of that in there which tells me what exactly was done and the outcome. I keep a log of when they seem ill , bubbly nose, bubbly eye slow and no appetite all that stuff. It really gives me a record of how my tort is doing. Someday it will be passed on to someone else when they will need to take care of my torts. But for now it tells me the complete story of how they are doing and if I have questions later I can look them up and see what I did that helped. It seems like a lot of work but I found it fun and enjoyable and really gave me peace of mine as I am getting older and someday others will have all this info for them to use.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
SUCH a cute little thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As soon as i move house over x-mas i will start my tort garden, loads and loads of weeds for him to munch on. :D

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hi, during winter if weeds and plants arent available, you can feed Greens.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
llllshaunllll said:
What sorts?

You can feed:
Collard greens
Mustard Greens
Turnip Greens
Small amounts of Kale
and occasionally cucumber.

Some people feed salad mixes too that contain radiccho, escarole, and similar type of food.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would like just to say a big THANK YOU to all that helped me and my tort. ;)

Shaun.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Quick note, I used those silly green produce bags, as advertised on TV, but purchased on ebay. They actually do work. (they don't allow the gassed to build up) We use them for all my veggies and I am shocked how how much linger my collards(and more) last.
My 12 yr. old son did a comparison test too, he used it as a school project. Boy do I sound like a commerical.! I haven't tried to freeze things though. Good idea. Na

Status
Not open for further replies.