help..ANOTHER wonderful poop thread... sorry in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
CtTortoiseMom said:
I think the romaine could be the culprit. Don't feed for a couple day's and see what happens. Just a guess. Also, is it possible to offer grass and weeds right now? Good luck, keep us posted.

yea cause its not watery its just slimmy. and a dark green. i can try to feed grasses and other stuff... it rained over 12" yesterday and today so you think any pesticides would be washed away if i picked them from the side of my house?

C

Claireabbo

id go for the microscope idea :D better in the long run for mulitple torts ;D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I don't mean to sound badly here, but if you invest in a microscope, do you know what you'd be looking for? Personally, I know I wouldn't be sure what to look for as far as parasites go and online information can be pretty suspect. Usually anti-flagellates and anti-parasite medications aren't too hot for the hosts system either, so you wouldn't want to treat without knowing for sure that there is an issue.

Lastly, if you do find something with a microscope, are there OTC anti-parasitic medications or would you need a prescription from a vet anyway??? If the later is the case all your time and effort are moot as a vet wouldn't give you a prescription without looking first.

These are just things to consider, I'm not telling anyone what to do, nor am I trying to argue with the aforementioned opinions.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Redstrike said:
I don't mean to sound badly here, but if you invest in a microscope, do you know what you'd be looking for? Personally, I know I wouldn't be sure what to look for as far as parasites go and online information can be pretty suspect. Usually anti-flagellates and anti-parasite medications aren't too hot for the hosts system either, so you wouldn't want to treat without knowing for sure that there is an issue.

Lastly, if you do find something with a microscope, are there OTC anti-parasitic medications or would you need a prescription from a vet anyway??? If the later is the case all your time and effort are moot as a vet wouldn't give you a prescription without looking first.

These are just things to consider, I'm not telling anyone what to do, nor am I trying to argue with the aforementioned opinions.
Good points. There are some good educational sites out there. You just have to practice and educate yourself. Practice is the key word. The more you do it and the more you study,the easier it becomes to recognize what you are looking at. In most cases,I use panacure,which I order online or stop by the vets office and purchase OTC. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying go out,buy a scope,pull it out of the box,and you're good to go. Far from it. But in my case,it has been a very worthwhile endeaver.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
chase thorn said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
I think the romaine could be the culprit. Don't feed for a couple day's and see what happens. Just a guess. Also, is it possible to offer grass and weeds right now? Good luck, keep us posted.

yea cause its not watery its just slimmy. and a dark green. i can try to feed grasses and other stuff... it rained over 12" yesterday and today so you think any pesticides would be washed away if i picked them from the side of my house?
If your grass has been treated with pesticides I would not chance it. I think you should eliminate the romaine for a couple of day's and if nothing changes. re-introduce it and eliminate something else. When all else fails a trip to the vet might be necessary to rule anything critical out. Exotic pet vet's are a great resource and it is nice to have a baseline started with someone you trust in case a real situation comes up with your tort.

My Sully had fluke and pin worm and did not have runny or anything unusual about his poop.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
i thought that it wouldnt be safe and i was not going to chanceit. thank you very much. and ill just take him to get a check up and change his diet a little :)

Status
Not open for further replies.