Sorry, another "possible penis" thread?!

Joma

Location (City and/or State)
Taos, NM
Sorry, new to this ambiguous sexual identity thing. I was told a few days ago he was a she. And then today, immediately after a bath (and a poop, sigh), what I'm thinking is a penis popped out....several times lol. Maybe four times, each time about an inch out and then back in. Frankly, it looked like a leach to me. Kind of pinkish, brown and thicker at the bottom. Does this sound about right? If I post a bottom pic (minus the suspected penis) can you tell me if she is a he or vice versa?

On a side note, this tortoise is looking at me fairly regularly - as I weigh, measure, temp etc - as if I really need to just chill the hell out. I am definitely A++ type and s/he is definitely Z-- type. I think I have a lot to learn from it :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Post a pic showing the tail and anal scutes and we can take a guess at it. Sounds to me like you saw some pretty good evidence today though... :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I'm not the greatest at guessing sex but this looks female too me. How old and large is s/he? When young they mostly look female until
they actually start maturing into their sex and developing the sex characteristics.

Joma

Taos, NM
Wow, I'm not the greatest at guessing sex but this looks female too me. How old and large is s/he? When young they mostly look female until
they actually start maturing into their sex and developing the sex characteristics.

Well yes. Female is what someone on my local NM Fb page said. But then what the heck was the body part I saw?

I wish I knew exactly how old. It came to me from someone who was moving and needed to find a home. I was told about 5 years but I’m not sure how accurate that is really.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, according to @Yvonne G a female can also show her female parts. I don't think it happens often though.
I'm thinking maybe yours is a male that was not kept properly when in the original owners care, which could greatly slow its maturing and growing.
I have a rescue leopard that looked very female at the age of 3-4 years, was very small for his age as he was kept in a very small tank. Couldn't even walk correctly. With proper care and some therapy for the walking, he caught up in size, walks great and fast and started showing signs of actually being a male around the age of 5-6.
I'm thinking about the same with yours.

Joma

Taos, NM
Well, according to @Yvonne G a female can also show her female parts. I don't think it happens often though.
I'm thinking maybe yours is a male that was not kept properly when in the original owners care, which could greatly slow its maturing and growing.
I have a rescue leopard that looked very female at the age of 3-4 years, was very small for his age as he was kept in a very small tank. Couldn't even walk correctly. With proper care and some therapy for the walking, he caught up in size, walks great and fast and started showing signs of actually being a male around the age of 5-6.
I'm thinking about the same with yours.

It could be. He (or she) came from a busy household with many animals of all kinds and limited time to care for them. They meant well, but knowing their situation, I really can't imagine how they could have attended to all the very diverse needs that were present. S/he also has what appears to be fairly significant pyramiding and I know a dog cracked part of the shell at some point. So perhaps that is our answer - male that previously lived in less than optimal circumstances? I hope I can do better for him :)
Sadly, in New Mexico we often fail badly at animal welfare. I have seen heartbreaking things here.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought that looks like a male tail.