help..ANOTHER wonderful poop thread... sorry in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
so i saw my torts poop. it doesn't look very normal to me. can someone tell me why it looks like this? not enough fiber? to much grocery store greens? parasites? AHHH! im just worried!

very poor quality picture :[ sorry! and

thank you

Attachments

• downsized_0904011009.jpg
    downsized_0904011009.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 79

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
RE: ANOTHER wonderful poop thread... sorry in advance

Could be it's diet, did you feed something different lately?

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO

dalano73 said:
Could be it's diet, did you feed something different lately?

no its been like that for awhile. i feed him romaine, radicchio, sometimes kale, collard greens, mustard greens, ect...

i never noticed it until i saw him drop one in his enclosure when it was fresh! (usually its dried and darker, other times is when i soak him) ive had him for little over a month! it is my russians poo

i did just add the radicchio... but his poo has been like that for awhile

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL

It might be parasites. My RFs looked like that when I got it so I took it to the vet, they did fecal sample and told me it had a parasite. He gave me meds for the parasite and I haven't had any problems since.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO

mel262011 said:
It might be parasites. My RFs looked like that when I got it so I took it to the vet, they did fecal sample and told me it had a parasite. He gave me meds for the parasite and I haven't had any problems since.

do you mind telling me how much all that was?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

I am unsure then, normally mine will poop like that when I give them something new, but since yours has been doing it for a while I have no idea... Sorry I can't help..

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
mel262011 said:
It was $69 altogether, which included the standard checkup and meds.

now i know where my money for my camera i just sold is going! which makes me extremely happy i have the money thank you! what should i do? just take a fecal sample first?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
It isn't expensive. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a fecal done. Gives you a good idea whats going on inside your tort.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming

chase thorn said:
mel262011 said:

If you believe your tort is otherwise in good health, you could just take in a stool sample. They float it and tell you if parasites are present. When I do that it's just $20, and the panacur I bought for a few dollars will be enough for lots of treatments.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
FInd a reptile vet first. You can take them a sample or you can take your tort with you. My RF always poops about 6 times when I take it anywhere. The vet I use is great. He is real nice and is an exotic expert, not to mention that he raises and breed RFs :)

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
yes i have one that i take my sulcatas to! i will do that tomorrow!

but what should it look like?

Edna said:
chase thorn said:
mel262011 said:

If you believe your tort is otherwise in good health, you could just take in a stool sample. They float it and tell you if parasites are present. When I do that it's just $20, and the panacur I bought for a few dollars will be enough for lots of treatments.

my tort eats like a horse. destroys everything in sight that he can tank right through! and he is just in amazing health other than the poop!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Won't hurt to do the stool sample, but this might be normal for your tort if he is very active and has a great appetite. That is a really good sign.
Most torts have some pinworms at one time or another, but hopefully your vet can tell you if it is a bloom or high count, and you can make sure there is nothing else in there.
I would judge him mainly be his behavior; he acts very healthy so he probably is.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
lynnedit said:
Won't hurt to do the stool sample, but this might be normal for your tort if he is very active and has a great appetite. That is a really good sign.
Most torts have some pinworms at one time or another, but hopefully your vet can tell you if it is a bloom or high count, and you can make sure there is nothing else in there.
I would judge him mainly be his behavior; he acts very healthy so he probably is.

thanks! im just worried about taking a sample. them finding something. me having to take him back to get a check up. then having to buy the meds :/ but it is worth it, having him healthy.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
tiagos' is like that fresh......and it dries hard when i drastically add something his stomach does not like but in the bath they come out solid (not solid literaly)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The poo has to be fresh for the fecal exam to be done so make sure its one that just came out before you go to the vet or he'll have to poo for you at the vets.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Here is another option for those of you who have multiple torts or the nearest competant vet is difficult to get to. Do your own fecals. I bought a microscope and supplies online. There is a lot of good info online for performing the tests and identifying the various things living in the gut,including parasites. It's really not that hard and is very interesting to me.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
i was just on ebay looking for a microscope. they are a bit spendy but well worth it in the long run. i wonder if i can buy one off my old bio teacher :]

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Tha initial investment is a little pricey,but after you start doing it,the convenience is more than worth it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think the romaine could be the culprit. Don't feed for a couple day's and see what happens. Just a guess. Also, is it possible to offer grass and weeds right now? Good luck, keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.