Help! Baby sulcata ate milkweed

ecoffman850

I just picked up a baby sulcata from a lovely couple that found him in their yard and there was a twig of milkweed in the box with him (they said they found him under it so they put some in with him). There is about 1/4inch of one leaf missing that he ate. Do I need to take him to the vet right away? I've never had any of my tortoises consume it before and I know it's poisonous.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you know for sure he ate it? @Yvonne G might be able to help. Usually they won't eat what they shouldn't. But if he was hungry, he may have taken a bit.

ecoffman850

Yes I'm sure. I panicked when I saw it and the woman said she watched him eat it. They felt terrible, just didn't know.

ecoffman850

He's still moving, but definitely more lethargic, that could also be that the sun set/temp dropped at least 8 degrees. It's been about 1.5 hours.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read this link I am posting
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/poisoning_37.asp
For now keep him well hydrated. If it was a tiny bite, it might be fine, it's hard to say. Keep temps and humidity correct so if you see anything different you will know the cause is the milkweed not the temps, etc. any bad signs, I would contact a vet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure milk weed is toxic.

How are you housing the baby? Have you soaked it yet? How are you heating and lighting it?

What are the four temperatures in the enclosure? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this the "milkweed" you're talking about:

6-12-15.jpg

We have quite a few different, edible weeds that are called 'milkweed,' but the one pictured above is the only real milkweed. If you saw a leaf of prickly lettuce or sow thistle, these both produce milk when broken, but are edible.

I wouldn't worry about the baby eating the leaf. Just soak him daily for about 15 minutes each time. he should be ok.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...oh, and by the way: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum! It's normal to worry with your new baby, so don't hesitate to ask. I did the same. Just keep learning about the good and bad weeds!