Help baby sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Help please! I left for a few hours and in that time somewhere along the lines my baby sulcata got flipped! He seems fine now but how long can they go on their backs and how do I help him I'm worried :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They can go quite a long time with no harm. Give him a good soak to make sure he's not dehydrated and keep an eye on him. He should be OK :)

Take a look at his enclosure. Is there enough stuff for him to push against to tip himself back the right way up? a scattering of stones will help. Some torts never master the art, but it's helpful if they do. I'm a firm believer in giving torts as much climbing practise as possible. The sooner they learn to do so without flipping, the better all round.

Put large obstacles in for climbing while you're around and take them out when you go out for more than hour. Joe is a practised climber and hasn't flipped in a couple of years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Babies can survive that way for hours and it usually does no harm. Don't worry, he's probably fine. Just make sure your water bowl is in the middle of the enclosure, not near an edge or corner, and it should be shallow enough and low sided so that if he flips into it he doesn't drown. Its pretty common for babies to flip themselves. They usually stop within a few weeks.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you Tom I had a hear attack when I saw him like tht I put more mulch I cuz he would tip when he climbed his log but fell over in his food bowl thing so lll et a more shallow one but it's good to know he will be okay

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I would take things out that baby can flip over with. Like logs, or food dish unless its time to eat. That way you will limit that from happening again as much as possible.

Hope2hope

5 Year Member
samiburke said:
Help please! I left for a few hours and in that time somewhere along the lines my baby sulcata got flipped! He seems fine now but how long can they go on their backs and how do I help him I'm worried :(

Well I'm no expert at tortoises but he can last for quite a while on his back but it's not recommended to tip them over. Make sure his cage is safe because maybe he flipped off a toy or the sides. Hope this helps:)

Status
Not open for further replies.