Help dbt

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Hi all. Im quite new to caring for dbt and it seems that my baby dbt develop rash or something.

Can you please tell me what is it in its carapace? Like white fungus?

He developed this a day after i introduce kachuga tecta to his pond. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424743306.717072.jpg

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Welcome to the world of dbts. One of the problems that sometimes can effect dbts raised in freshwater. It is a harmless type of fungus that turns the shell white. The mysterious shell haze, and there really isnt an answer to what causes it. All you can do now is add some salt to stop it from spreading. Probably the spot thats there will stay there until it sheds for the first time. Which will be years from now.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
But it's not harmful is it? Is it because of bad water quality? Because his water is very clear and filtrated well.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
By nature.. Terrapins live in brackish water = not fresh and not salt.. in between. Add salt that contains no chemicals [ iodine, etc.] I use "Pool" salt for all of my tanks/tubs, etc. The kind of salt that is used in swimming pools to aid in the filtration. Salt is a natural "sanitizing" agent for terrapins. That's what Diamondbacks4life was explaining about. Salt can make it not react as badly.

Just because fresh water is filtered and looks clean doesn't mean a thing to Terrapins.. they want/need salt in their water.

My caresheet for Terrapins will be done as soon as my webdesigner finishes my new site.. I'll post it on my signature when it is!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
By nature.. Terrapins live in brackish water = not fresh and not salt.. in between. Add salt that contains no chemicals [ iodine, etc.] I use "Pool" salt for all of my tanks/tubs, etc. The kind of salt that is used in swimming pools to aid in the filtration. Salt is a natural "sanitizing" agent for terrapins. That's what Diamondbacks4life was explaining about. Salt can make it not react as badly.

Just because fresh water is filtered and looks clean doesn't mean a thing to Terrapins.. they want/need salt in their water.

My caresheet for Terrapins will be done as soon as my webdesigner finishes my new site.. I'll post it on my signature when it is!

I am looking forward to it.