Diamondback Terrapin with red line on plastron??? Very concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
Hi,
My diamondback Terrapin Shimmee has been a happy little camper for several years. She eats, grows, swims, and acts super active and busy. but, tonight I noticed she has a red line going horizontal on her lower shell. I am attaching a picture. The picture is a tad deceptive. Her whole shell is pale tan, but their is a red line going side to side about half way down.
It may be nothing? But, in the back of my head I keep thinking about my favorite DBT that developed Septicima and passed away. I would hate for her to be getting the same thing. The red line scares me. Like I said she is super active and exhibits no signs of sickness, other than a slightly red nose, which she has had on and off for a year or so. Which I thought might have been due to too much time in the sun. Almost like a sun burn due to her white face.

The only other thing I think I should mention, is I switched her food to a Flukers Aquatic Turtle food that has red colored pellets in it. I don't like how it tints the water, and I wont be buying it again. If it does that to the water, it can't be good for them to have that dye. On a side note.... WHY, WHY, Why would they put dye in a turtles food. They don't care what color it is. It is unneeded and unhealthy. Grrrr... Ok. I am done whinning.

Can anyone help? Any ideas? :(

I always look here first for answers. If I don't hear some great info, and I am going to get her into my vet soon.

2012-04-30_21-24-16_507.jpg

Yesterday, this was Shimme again.....

2012-04-28_13-11-34_823.jpg

Thanks for all your help! :) :) :)

acrantophis

5 Year Member
What a beautiful terrapin! It could very well be the food. They put carotenoids as a color enhancer in many foods. It works only to enhance yellows and reds. I must admit I have used paprika on fruit flies to enhance the yellow in dart frogs and bearded dragons.
It could be bacterial. Do you use salt regularly? I would keep minimally 1 rounded Tblspn per 5 gallons. That works well as a prophylaxis for infections. Also maybe a drier basking area?
Great looking animal. Good job.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Has he had any injuries recently that you are aware of?

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Thanks :) I love her white face. She almost smiles :) Thanks for your quick help as well. I appreciate it!!

She doesn't have any salt in her water at this time, but I could try that. I have done that a little bit in the past.

She hasn't had any injuries that I can think of other than a few scratches on the skin by her back legs from the male DBT. They look good and don't look irritated or infected.

She has a basking area, although she doesn't bask as much as I would like her too. So, once in awhile I let her out and she crawls all around the house until she is totally dry and it is great exercise for her. And.... it makes my dogs and cats, go hmmmm????? what is that??? They are all watched super closely though. ( I should mention my big tortoises crawl all around and on my dogs with no issues. although, I am always watching!)

A thought that just came to my mind this morning.......
Could it be a bruise? She often rests on the basking ramp about halfway up. That's her normal spot most of the time. She is heavy. Could it be a bruise from her body weight resting there?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again!

Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.