Diamondback Terrapin with pink face????

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
I have 3 Diamondback terrapins and have had them for several years. They are healthy and are exhibiting no behavior that makes me think they are ill. That being said. I have a large adult female with a completely white face. Sometimes if you look at her she has pink or light red around her nose and sometimes her eyes or jawline. This worries me. I have kept a close eye on it and she seems healthy and happy. I sometimes see it after she has been outside in her boat/pond all day. So, in that case I have always chalked it up to a slight sunburn from floating with her nose in the air on a hot day. But, if she gets chilly or some days at random she has that pink on the tip of her nose again. Any ideas? I know she is not rudolph so I can't quite feel comfortable with her having a red nose. It is very hit and miss, so I tend to not think she is sick. She has no signs of sickness. My only thought.... and it may be a crazy thought... is that it is due to her having an all white face. I had a horse with an all white face and her eyes where more sensitive to sunburn. Could it be as simple as that. It's almost like sometimes she is blushing. Any ideas???
FYI - She is outside in the summer, and spring and fall at any opportunity that the sun is out, and inside the rest of the time. She has a basking spot, eats daily and is very active.
Thanks for your help... ;)

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Well buddy if they are acting fine and eating fine I would say don't worry about it but if you are still unsure take them to a vet that deals with turtles or know a lot about them to check them to see if they are healthy and fine. Also here are some helpful hints to water turtles to tell if they are sick 1 if they cough 2 if they bask more than usual 3 sneezing are all signs of respiratory infection so good luck and then actual sun will help them better when you put them outside but good luck and welcome to the forum

Also terrapins have sensitive skin so that may be the problem but I'm not for sure on it 100% but terrapins like I said have really sensitive skin

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
There used to be a member on here name RedfootNerd who breeds and keeps diamond back terrapins. I feel like he would know. He has a website www.turtletary.com. Hope this help's.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
check your nitrate levels it is toxic andcan cause "blushing" which is hemeraging really. do you have a picture? also do you keep yours in fresh or brackish water. terrapins tend to be more prone to skin and other problems when kept in fresh water

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Saloli said:
check your nitrate levels it is toxic andcan cause "blushing" which is hemeraging really. do you have a picture? also do you keep yours in fresh or brackish water. terrapins tend to be more prone to skin and other problems when kept in fresh water

Also it depends what they were born into like if their wild then they live in brackish water but if they are captive bred then fresh and brackish water it doesn't matter, I wanted to add on to that :D

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
They are captive born and bred. I got them when they were 4 weeks old. I have had them for years. They are in primarily fresh water with a small amount of salt. Not quite brackish, but somewhere in the middle. I will be checking the nitrate levels. I don't have the stuff to test it now. I will get that asap. Thanks for your help! :)

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Actually there is some research that was done that says quite the opposite because at least when one is considering osmoregulation the fresh water makes them drink less but they are adapted to moderate to high salinities (6-36ppt). yes i have heard of people breeding them in fresh water but people have also kept sliders in tanks with out uv light. But any way, I would suggest using niteout II and special blend. They are bacterial cultures they help maintain better water quality. I would suggest reading a book titled Diamonds in the marsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.