Help! (doesn't move)

Jenna lore

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Help! I have been saving up for a baby tortoise for 6 months, for my daughter's birthday. My breeder was selling one for 2000$, a good deal he said. He gave me tips on setting up a habitat. I made added him to me 120 gallon fish tank with the water at the reccomended 80-90 degree gradient. I got him spring mix and calcium supplements for the water. But he just sits at the bottom of the tank! And the fish have been biting him! What do I do?

baldegale

Help! I have been saving up for a baby tortoise for 6 months, for my daughter's birthday. My breeder was selling one for 2000$, a good deal he said. He gave me tips on setting up a habitat. I made added him to me 120 gallon fish tank with the water at the reccomended 80-90 degree gradient. I got him spring mix and calcium supplements for the water. But he just sits at the bottom of the tank! And the fish have been biting him! What do I do?

wait what kind of “tortoise” is it? im pretty sure he gave you info for a turtle. tortoises DO NOT need water to swim nor do they swim.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m really hoping you didn’t just buy a tortoise and put it in water, or that this is a very unfunny joke.
Please give us pictures.

Jenna lore

Florida
He said it was a "spurr thighed" tortoise. I have recognized that I have been scammed both in money and my daughter's happiness. The tortoise is dead and I don't know what to say to my daughter as she was already told of her new pet. She comes back from her dad's on Monday

Jenna lore

Florida
Also I find it very offensive that you all are joking around and accusing this of being fake. It's not funny.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Jenna, I have no idea who this supposed breeder is, but tortoises are land reptiles. If you venture into tortoise keeping again, I suggest you start here by learning the basics and we will help you to get everything set up perfectly. We can also guide you in buying from a reputable dealer who will not scam you.

Jenna lore

Florida
I removed the fish to their 90 gallon tank (I normally use for cleaning) and he began swimming! I will send a picture! I will begin doing further research. I looked up "spurr thighed" and that is not the species he sold me so I still have hope!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think I would be calling the police about now, if this breeder set you up with an aquarium, with water, for a land Tortoise, there must be something a police report can do. Was this a local breeder? I’d be all over social media, maybe a call to your local TV station too. Very sad to hear u are going through this... sad daughter, ripped off from a breeder, out 2k. Not good.

Jenna lore

Florida
I think I would be calling the police about now, if this breeder set you up with an aquarium, with water, for a land Tortoise, there must be something a police report can do. Was this a local breeder? I’d be all over social media, maybe a call to your local TV station too. Very sad to hear u are going through this... sad daughter, ripped off from a breeder, out 2k. Not good.
I'm certain I was ripped off, however it is not the situation I originally thought. Don't worry.

IMG_1019.JPG

Jenna lore

Florida
Does anyone know this species' actual name and or if the described conditions are reasonable? I have given up on being scammed of money, I just want this guy to be ok

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That’s not a tortoise.
I’m thinking some sort of soft shell turtle, but not sure which one. I would take legal action against the breeder.

Jenna lore

Florida
Okay, I will do research on turtles. I'm just tying to find the specific species, or do turtles have the same conditions?

baldegale

actually.. this might be a leucistic even. so you might not have gotten ripped off. but just so you know, they get quite big. IMG_0187.JPG