Help! (doesn't move)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Well I was told it was a tortoise, and told the forum it was a tortoise and about my set up, and I got barraged :(

@Jenna lore You'll notice this forum is very passionate about the health and well-being of animals. I hope you don't take the reaction personally - the thought of a seller telling you to put a tortoise in a fish tank is horrifying, and that's what brought on the responses you got (in my opinion).

I'm very happy to hear he's alive - he looks awesome! I have three water turtles but have no experience with soft shells, however.

Jenna lore

Florida
“So first off there are a few basic requirement for a softshell turtle because that's not a pig nosed/fly river turtle
-sand it's necessary no way around it
- water heater (protected they are rough)
- food they are carnivores so spring mix won't work things like guppies, rosy red minnows, earthworms, etc. NO GOLDFISH!!
- lots of places to hide but nothing sharp
- A VERY good filter (cannister preferably) or daily water changes
- A dock to get out of the water and bask softshells normally won't use it but it won't hurt
Also make sure the water is no higher than the turtle can reach from the bottom with it's neck”
My friend tells me that these are the bare basics.
I have a feeder breeding tank, goldfish unfortunately. I can order a few hundred guppies and put them in a spare tank (if I can set an appropraite one up).
I have spare rounded aquarium stones.
I have a friend with a spare fluver canister filter (up to 400 gal) that I can ask to borrow.
And I will buy a dock Tuesday at the latest. Could you ask if this will work?

Jenna lore

Florida
Also he is relatively timid and let me pick him up under the water to remove him out of the way as I added sand

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have a feeder breeding tank, goldfish unfortunately. I can order a few hundred guppies and put them in a spare tank (if I can set an appropraite one up).
I have spare rounded aquarium stones.
I have a friend with a spare fluver canister filter (up to 400 gal) that I can ask to borrow.
And I will buy a dock Tuesday at the latest. Could you ask if this will work?

IMG_1519601945.645286.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whew! I'm so glad to learn it is not a tortoise, but a softshell turtle!

Please folow the instructions on the care sheet given you. Austen puts out good care sheets.

kellygirl64

Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
Also I find it very offensive that you all are joking around and accusing this of being fake. It's not funny.
Please, don't be offended. Id like to believe no one here is trying to hurt you, but I too was taken aback by the first few posts here. I have to continue reading through but I paused to tell you no one here got where they are because each one is infallible and perfect. My first tortoise almost drowned because I had no idea he wouldn't be ok semi-submerged !! If someone wasn't standing there asking why he was blowing bubbles, I would have never picked him up and saved him !! I'm going to continue reading through now, I am terribly sorry for your investment and tragic loss. I don't think any terrible thoughts although it was a painful, hard lesson learned. My heart hurts for you.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks like you payed 2000 for some kind of Albino softshell. Definitely not a tortoise, that's a turtle. It will need a huge tank if not a pond eventually to house ( Edit: I see you said you have a 120 gallon that would be ok for while, just make sure you provide him somewhere to bask). How come you chose to spend so much on your first turtle? You could of gotten a baby slider for like $20

Last edited: