Help! (dry shell)

simon7

5 Year Member
My redfoot tortoises shell is really dry. Any suggestions on what to do?!

erica anne

5 Year Member
Help!

There is a topical ointment that I buy at petco for my sully. It is a conditioner, you might try that.

Just looked at the container. It is called turtle vitashell. It is for both turtles and tortoises. I have been really happy with it, I use it about once a week and his shell looks so much healthier.

simon7

5 Year Member
Help!

Okay thank you so much, I seen that at petco and wasn't sure if it would work. I got some food from there that said should help but haven't seen any improvement. I'll try that ointment. Thanks again!

erica anne

5 Year Member
Help!

Laura said:
what do you mean by dry? vitashell is Not recommend by most to use...

Could you tell me why? Does it harm them? My tortoise's shell had a few small areas that looked dried out, like dry skin might look on us. Lighter in shade, very slight flakes etc. After I used the conditioner it looked way better, still does. I would like to know how it may be harmful though.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
RE: Help!

Because, for one, it could mask the real problem that's causing the dry shell. Can you tell me what kind of setup you have? Are you using a UVb bulb? If so,what kind? How near/far is it from the top of your tort's shell? Do you have humidity in the enclosure? What's the percentage? How warm is the enclosure? What heating are you using day/night? Has your tort been out in the sun during warm days? Can you post a pic of your enclosure?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

There have been many debates on vita shell. There is nothing wrong with the product. I use it on both of my tortoises weekly. It helps moisturize their shell. I also put it on their head. Major breeders use it here in Arizona. It is so dry here...if you go to the tortoise forum search bar and type in vitashell you can see all the debates.. and many members agree that it will not harm your tort..i have a redfoot also. It is hard to keep their shell hydrated without overdoing it.

erica anne

5 Year Member
Help!

I also just read that some people use olive or coconut oil on a dry shell. Sounds like a good natural option and most people already have this on their home!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

As with any topicals, be sure to buff off all the excess. If you leave too much on it may attract dirt, which in turn may cause the tortoise to overheat.

erica anne

5 Year Member
Help!

Yvonne G said:
As with any topicals, be sure to buff off all the excess. If you leave too much on it may attract dirt, which in turn may cause the tortoise to overheat.

Yvonne, you are the best! So much wisdom! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Help!

I use virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil has some amazing antibacterial and anti fungal properties and is a great healing ointment as well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

A tortoise shell is suppose to be dry....If it were wet and shiny all of the time then something is wrong....

Please note; most folks will wet or buff their tort before they take and post pics...."photo shop" for lack of better term....so the shiny perfectly clean tort is not what a tort normally looks like....just sayin.

It is hard to keep their shell hydrated

I am confused here....if your tort enclosure is set up correctly for the species of tort that resides in that enclosure and the tort is offered opportunity for proper water intake and access to a soaking dish---then the lack of a "shine" means the tort does not have a healthy "hydrated" shell? Is this what is meant by this statement?

Vitashell and products of the like are simply for aid the human in feeling like they have done a beneficial thing for the tort....just as we humans will use lotions and creams and such in lieu of proper hydration....but as we all know, when that lotion or cream on us gets wet--it well, comes off---which is no big deal because we are not likely going to drink the water that caused this to happen....a tort on the other hand likely will....

I mean, I don't understand why folks don't just say the truth? Vitashell and products of the like are simply for pleasure to the human eye....? No shame in that, but please don't try to sell the general idea that it in some way "hydrates"....

Lotion and creams don't hydrate...they simply make the dry look good....:D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Help!

ascott said:
A tortoise shell is suppose to be dry....If it were wet and shiny all of the time then something is wrong....

Please note; most folks will wet or buff their tort before they take and post pics...."photo shop" for lack of better term....so the shiny perfectly clean tort is not what a tort normally looks like....just sayin.

It is hard to keep their shell hydrated

I am confused here....if your tort enclosure is set up correctly for the species of tort that resides in that enclosure and the tort is offered opportunity for proper water intake and access to a soaking dish---then the lack of a "shine" means the tort does not have a healthy "hydrated" shell? Is this what is meant by this statement?

Vitashell and products of the like are simply for aid the human in feeling like they have done a beneficial thing for the tort....just as we humans will use lotions and creams and such in lieu of proper hydration....but as we all know, when that lotion or cream on us gets wet--it well, comes off---which is no big deal because we are not likely going to drink the water that caused this to happen....a tort on the other hand likely will....

I mean, I don't understand why folks don't just say the truth? Vitashell and products of the like are simply for pleasure to the human eye....? No shame in that, but please don't try to sell the general idea that it in some way "hydrates"....

Lotion and creams don't hydrate...they simply make the dry look good....:D

Well said, Angela. Tort lovers, don't let pix on TFO make you insecure. Most healthy torts don't walk around looking glossy, any more than most healthy women walk around looking like the oiled goddesses in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.

simon7

5 Year Member
Help!

Thank u for all the help. Here is a pic by what I mean by dry, View attachment 59112 he hasn't gotten sunlight for a month because it's too cold out side, I do have a uv lamp for him an he also has a water bowl to soak in. And it's 80% humidity in his enclosure.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382036643.577577.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

simon7

5 Year Member
Help!

I do every other day. I was wondering if it could be the water I'm using? I soak him in spring water also for his drinking water. Is tht okay? I've read different things about that.

simon7

5 Year Member
Help!

A year. but his shell has just started looking dry about a month ago

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: Help!

Someone on here said you could use coconut oil and olive oil.
What about baby or vegetable oil??

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

Elohi said:
I use virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil has some amazing antibacterial and anti fungal properties and is a great healing ointment as well.

Amen to this Elohi. Excellent for those properties! I love coconut oil and us keepers can use it, too! The lauric acid in coconut oil can kill bacteria, viruses and fungi and fight off infections. I dab a little on my tortoises neck and below their beak and top of their head when they have runny nose syndrome. Oy, those little Greek tortoises and their RNS! We had Santa Ana winds the other day and both had RNS right after. Sometimes I think it is an allergy-like reaction. In any case, it went away within a day after the coconut oil massage-y! : )