Help! (dry shell)

erica anne

5 Year Member
Help!

ascott said:
A tortoise shell is suppose to be dry....If it were wet and shiny all of the time then something is wrong....

Please note; most folks will wet or buff their tort before they take and post pics...."photo shop" for lack of better term....so the shiny perfectly clean tort is not what a tort normally looks like....just sayin.

It is hard to keep their shell hydrated

I am confused here....if your tort enclosure is set up correctly for the species of tort that resides in that enclosure and the tort is offered opportunity for proper water intake and access to a soaking dish---then the lack of a "shine" means the tort does not have a healthy "hydrated" shell? Is this what is meant by this statement?

Vitashell and products of the like are simply for aid the human in feeling like they have done a beneficial thing for the tort....just as we humans will use lotions and creams and such in lieu of proper hydration....but as we all know, when that lotion or cream on us gets wet--it well, comes off---which is no big deal because we are not likely going to drink the water that caused this to happen....a tort on the other hand likely will....

I mean, I don't understand why folks don't just say the truth? Vitashell and products of the like are simply for pleasure to the human eye....? No shame in that, but please don't try to sell the general idea that it in some way "hydrates"....

Lotion and creams don't hydrate...they simply make the dry look good....:D

I am sorry. what folks are not telling the "truth"? Aren't we simply sharing ideas here? I am not under the impression that anyone is trying to deceive another on this point.

I know I feel better when I "moisturize" my dry skin with lotion. Excessive dryness can be uncomfortable! Perhaps living in Arizona gives you a real idea what dry is lol. If there is a safe way to do this for your pet, aside from soaks and humidity, it is worth discussing.

Positive feedback is always helpful when trying to figure out what is the best thing for your tort :)

Btw, the coconut oil sound like a much better option. I will switch to this!

ascott, you may be referring to the companies who sell the products in which case I share your frustration! People who are new to this aren't going to know if it is a safe product or not! If it is a trusted brand sold by a known pet store we unfortunately assume it is safe.

simon7

5 Year Member
Yea the coconut oil sounds good! Thinking about tryin tht instead.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
RE: Help!

ascott said:
A tortoise shell is suppose to be dry....If it were wet and shiny all of the time then something is wrong....

Please note; most folks will wet or buff their tort before they take and post pics...."photo shop" for lack of better term....so the shiny perfectly clean tort is not what a tort normally looks like....just sayin.

It is hard to keep their shell hydrated

I am confused here....if your tort enclosure is set up correctly for the species of tort that resides in that enclosure and the tort is offered opportunity for proper water intake and access to a soaking dish---then the lack of a "shine" means the tort does not have a healthy "hydrated" shell? Is this what is meant by this statement?

Vitashell and products of the like are simply for aid the human in feeling like they have done a beneficial thing for the tort....just as we humans will use lotions and creams and such in lieu of proper hydration....but as we all know, when that lotion or cream on us gets wet--it well, comes off---which is no big deal because we are not likely going to drink the water that caused this to happen....a tort on the other hand likely will....

I mean, I don't understand why folks don't just say the truth? Vitashell and products of the like are simply for pleasure to the human eye....? No shame in that, but please don't try to sell the general idea that it in some way "hydrates"....

Lotion and creams don't hydrate...they simply make the dry look good....:D

Its hard to keep it hydrated without overdoing it....meaning. keeping it hydrated without causing fungus, is what i was getting at. If you had put the whole sentence in it would have made more sense, and i should have better explained myself...i would also suggest looking up other posts on vitashell.....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What I mean by truth is, as with humans---the lotion/cream does not cure dry skin, it simply masks it by making it feel good----so no additional hydration occurs, but rather smearing of cream gives the appearance of it----vitashell does this same thing---it does not add hydration, it simply dolls up the appearance of the shell....:D

The added concern, to me, would be it soaking off into their soaking/drinking dish---and being ingested continually over time....

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
ascott said:
What I mean by truth is, as with humans---the lotion/cream does not cure dry skin, it simply masks it by making it feel good----so no additional hydration occurs, but rather smearing of cream gives the appearance of it----vitashell does this same thing---it does not add hydration, it simply dolls up the appearance of the shell....:D

The added concern, to me, would be it soaking off into their soaking/drinking dish---and being ingested continually over time....
So, you are saying that a lot of people are lying about this product? I'm lying that it moisturizers my torts shell? It moisturizers my redfoots top of his head when its white and hard especally after soaking and spraying. He is very well hydrated. Maybe i should take a picture and show you just how bad he gets. Its not due to being dehydrated...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Vitashell and products of the like are simply for pleasure to the human eye....? No shame in that, but please don't try to sell the general idea that it in some way "hydrates"....

This is EXACTLY what I meant when I said it, this is still exactly what I mean and will remain exactly what I mean....no confusion here as to what I mean....

you are saying that a lot of people are lying about this product? I'm lying that it moisturizers my torts shell?

Nope, never said this above statement nor ever called you a liar....if I felt you are a liar, well hell--I am grown enough I would have just come right out and called you a liar...clear?

I said what I meant and I meant what I said...if you want to read into----shift around ---make something out of nothing, you have that right---as I choose to no longer entertain this conversation of Liars and such....

elite_trainer_john

Norfolk, NE
RE: Help!

Amen to this Elohi. Excellent for those properties! I love coconut oil and us keepers can use it, too! The lauric acid in coconut oil can kill bacteria, viruses and fungi and fight off infections. I dab a little on my tortoises neck and below their beak and top of their head when they have runny nose syndrome. Oy, those little Greek tortoises and their RNS! We had Santa Ana winds the other day and both had RNS right after. Sometimes I think it is an allergy-like reaction. In any case, it went away within a day after the coconut oil massage-y! : )
Is this ANY coconut oil? Or a specific kind?