Help! DT MIA.

AZGirl

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello all, I’ve been bringing my DT in at night as nights have been cooling. Take him out in day, soak feed and have enclosed yard. He is always one place when I get him in eve. This eve, can’t find him. Found small hole under fence, not sure if he could fit....anyway it’s dark now, I searched for a cpl hours. Temp low tonite will be 52. Will he be ok? As soon as day comes, I can look some more. He will usually respond to my voice when warmer. Pls pray I find Parker. 3am will be 55 degrees, 6am 52, then will start to warm, will warm to 88 tomorrow.

just worried it’s too cold, he’ll burrow and I’ll never find him. I feel bad.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello all, I’ve been bringing my DT in at night as nights have been cooling. Take him out in day, soak feed and have enclosed yard. He is always one place when I get him in eve. This eve, can’t find him. Found small hole under fence, not sure if he could fit....anyway it’s dark now, I searched for a cpl hours. Temp low tonite will be 52. Will he be ok? As soon as day comes, I can look some more. He will usually respond to my voice when warmer. Pls pray I find Parker. 3am will be 55 degrees, 6am 52, then will start to warm, will warm to 88 tomorrow.

oh .. I am so sorry to hear this. I would be out with a flash light. I would check the hole with my hand (just in case) and look all around the perimeter. If you have a camera maybe set it up outside and watch it from inside? Go out again and call for him..!
worse case cinario he will be a little cold tomorrow. Give him a warm bath ASAP.
I will be praying!!!! ????❤️
lots of luck!!!

AZGirl

Arizona
Yes, I searched w flashlight. The hole under fence goes to my neighbors yard. I looked over fence w flashlight, but very hard to see as he blends so well. Fretting.

thank you.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Yes, I searched w flashlight. The hole under fence goes to my neighbors yard. I looked over fence w flashlight, but very hard to see as he blends so well. Fretting.

thank you.

Ok..ok... let’s not panic....
He will be just fine. And maybe learn his lesson! When you do find him give him lots of hugs from me! (And maybe a pat on the butt from you?) ;)

AZGirl

Arizona
???? thank you for your support. Tomorrow will be warm, so I hope I’ll find him. I just went out again w flashlight but didn’t find him. Do they remember their way around, in other words, if he went under fence, would he know how to come back? I will call him. Thanks again.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Go out in the morning at the same time he usually gets up, and when the sun is beginning to warm up.

Look for any disturbed earth, even if it's just a little. Get down on the ground and look under bushes, flower pots, anywhere he could dig and hide. Don't assume he is out of the fence. We just had a member who lost her tort for several days, and he had never left home.

If he likes to soak, put out water and food.

And if he doesn't wander too far, yes, he knows how to get home. But if he went under the fence, he may not know how to get back in. Check the entire fence. If not dangerous in your area, leave the gate open.

How old is he, and how long has he lived at this location?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I would go out at the sun rise.
I found that Herbie wakes up when he sees light coming in. Slowly wakes up and at 7 he is up 8 he ate all the leftovers and starts frantically running around waiting for dandelion rain ?

My RT went to the neighbors and lived somewhere for a month. Finally neighbors call said there is some dinosaur looking animal eating leaves we think it’s yours - I was a kid and they were very old.
They say he is opening his mouth so big he is coming for us right now come get him.
One of the cutest stories I remember.

Your baby is probably in a hole he made and sleeping.
Do you have a reflector ?

I believe he will be there in few hours!!
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
My Russian went missing once while I was on vacation. She was found 5 days later at the neighbor’s house down the street. She had dug down into the dirt next to their stone foundation that was warm. Good luck! Prayers are with you and your precious tort!

AZGirl

Arizona
Parker is only 6. He has been with me 4 yrs, but this is his first summer outdoors. He would go under a woodpile (on crates) to sleep in during the warm nights. When it started getting cool, I brought him in each eve and put him our in late a.m.
I blocked woodpile entrance bc I didn’t want him to go under and dig down and not be able to find him as it freezes in winter here where I live.

what kind of reflector , not sure what you mean.

I will be searching today as soon as it warms up a bit andlookmin neighbors yard if I can’t find him.

thank you all for your helpful comments.
????????

AZGirl

Arizona
Thank The Lord!!!???????

and all of you! Started at 7:30. Every 15 min or so,searched yard and peeked over fence, calling him. Ran hose (he likes sound of running water). As it warmed, I just went out again and he was in sun by woodpile (just a few ago). He figured a way in under pallets, I guess. That has been his hide all summer, so we thought he might be there but too dark to tell. He’s soaking now and I am so relieved and thankful!!!

thanks again for the support and comments, you’re all the best.

@Chefdenoel10, I hugged him good for you!

????????????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank The Lord!!!???????

and all of you! Started at 7:30. Every 15 min or so,searched yard and peeked over fence, calling him. Ran hose (he likes sound of running water). As it warmed, I just went out again and he was in sun by woodpile (just a few ago). He figured a way in under pallets, I guess. That has been his hide all summer, so we thought he might be there but too dark to tell. He’s soaking now and I am so relieved and thankful!!!

thanks again for the support and comments, you’re all the best.

@Chefdenoel10, I hugged him good for you!

????????????

WONDERFUL!!!!!
YYYIIIIIPPPPPIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
Woo hoo!!! ????????
Did ya pay his butt for making you worry?
?
Thank god he’s home and safe!
all the best to you!!!
And now you have to go get one of those old phone spiral cords to attach one end to your wrist and one end to his foot. Like they did for children back in the 89s/90s??
????

AZGirl

Arizona
No, I didn’t give him a licking.... I was so relieved to find him. ?I guess I will have to bring him in earlier, before he goes to hide. First time w outside summer. Next year hope to have a tort enclosure with real burrow dug.

funny that he will actually respond to my calls. The neighbor checked his yard too!!

thanks everyone. Happy Autumn.????????????????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
No, I didn’t give him a licking.... I was so relieved to find him. ?I guess I will have to bring him in earlier, before he goes to hide. First time w outside summer. Next year hope to have a tort enclosure with real burrow dug.

funny that he will actually respond to my calls. The neighbor checked his yard too!!

thanks everyone. Happy Autumn.????????????????

happy days ahead for you too!! ??

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Glad this had a happy ending.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
WONDERFUL!!!!!
YYYIIIIIPPPPPIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
Woo hoo!!! ????????
Did ya pay his butt for making you worry?
?
Thank god he’s home and safe!
all the best to you!!!
And now you have to go get one of those old phone spiral cords to attach one end to your wrist and one end to his foot. Like they did for children back in the 89s/90s??
????
Happy for you !

GWman

Austin

One of our red foots got out of our yard when he was young. We made flyers and went to all of our neighbors and gave the flyers to them. 28 days later it paid off when our neighbor 6 doors down heard her dogs barking and Tomas was on the other side of her fence. She brought him home to us and we were thrilled. My advice is let as many people around you know to keep an eye out for your escape artist. I hope you find him soon.