Help for a newbie owner. (general care & routines)

Benja28

Location (City and/or State)
Pilar de la Horadada, Alicante, Spain
So, i am a newbie owner and yes, I did my homework and investigated about this species but, I want to know from more experienced owners.

I want to know about baths, supplements, general cares and routines...

Thank you all !

Ricky j

Wisconsin
So, i am a newbie owner and yes, I did my homework and investigated about this species but, I want to know from more experienced owners.

Thank you all !
Calcium powder is important sprinkle it on their food and as for Russians in most tortoises when you soak them they tend to evacuate their bowels it's better just to give him a water dish they can walk in and out of on their own with my Russian I use 10 or 20% sand mixed with soil and cypress mulch on top and preferably don't use an aquarium tank to house them in I use a smaller plastic kiddie pool think it's 5 feet round it works great if you have the space and give em a smaller half log or something similar to climb over put some fake or real plants in there so they can hide but if you use real plants just make sure it's something they cant get sick from if they eat it and build him or her a hide and don't keep it moist in there they need lower humidity but not bone dry and keep their UV light 12-14 inches high or higher and use a desert dwelling uv light for em and keep them outside as much as possible during the warmer months that way they soak up the natural sunlight

Ricky j

Wisconsin

Thank you all !

Attachments

• 16842655514003518954246430681369.jpg
    16842655514003518954246430681369.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2

Ricky j

Wisconsin
There's a pic of Mr T (Russian tortoise)outside he sleeps out there most the summer I bring him in for the winter

Benja28

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-16 at 21.40.57.jpeg

She is Belly and i just adopted her, I dont know her age and I dont know if she has pyramiding because like I said, I am a newbie and im trying to give her the best.
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-16 at 21.44.01.jpeg

This is her in the enclousure, any advices on that ? It is small ? What can i change ?

Benja28

Calcium powder is important sprinkle it on their food and as for Russians in most tortoises when you soak them they tend to evacuate their bowels it's better just to give him a water dish they can walk in and out of on their own with my Russian I use 10 or 20% sand mixed with soil and cypress mulch on top and preferably don't use an aquarium tank to house them in I use a smaller plastic kiddie pool think it's 5 feet round it works great if you have the space and give em a smaller half log or something similar to climb over put some fake or real plants in there so they can hide but if you use real plants just make sure it's something they cant get sick from if they eat it and build him or her a hide and don't keep it moist in there they need lower humidity but not bone dry and keep their UV light 12-14 inches high or higher and use a desert dwelling uv light for em and keep them outside as much as possible during the warmer months that way they soak up the natural sunlight
Thanks for all that information, i want to give her the best life that i can

Ricky j

Wisconsin
And that little food is because she doesnt eat and i think she is adapting to her new house
Yeah my Russian didn't eat for the first week after I got him but then as soon as he got comfortable he ain't stopped eating since lol

Ricky j

Wisconsin
View attachment 356969

She is Belly and i just adopted her, I dont know her age and I dont know if she has pyramiding because like I said, I am a newbie and im trying to give her the best.
View attachment 356970

This is her in the enclousure, any advices on that ? It is small ? What can i change ?
Could be bigger but if it's nice she has everything she needs in there but if at all possible once she's settled in let her roam around your yard so she can munch on weeds and dandelions and you'll see once they're out in a wide open space of the yard they'll move around and explore more more than they ever will in their enclosure in the house when I first got my Russian and put it outside it always take off to the neighbors yard but now after 4 or 5 years it just stays in our yard and with mine I don't have to sit out there and watch him I just go check on him every now and then I can normally just look out the window and see where he is just don't take that part for granted lol

Benja28

Could be bigger but if it's nice she has everything she needs in there but if at all possible once she's settled in let her roam around your yard so she can munch on weeds and dandelions and you'll see once they're out in a wide open space of the yard they'll move around and explore more more than they ever will in their enclosure in the house when I first got my Russian and put it outside it always take off to the neighbors yard but now after 4 or 5 years it just stays in our yard and with mine I don't have to sit out there and watch him I just go check on him every now and then I can normally just look out the window and see where he is just don't take that part for granted lol
I will try and let her roam around if I can, once she has adapted to the new situation

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
No roaming - very dangerous. Please see the link supplied above. How many inches is she? Not too bad with pyramiding and if she's an adult you can't do anything about it now anyway.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Ok definitely a juvenile then and pyramiding is an issue to keep on top of

Ricky j

Wisconsin
No roaming - very dangerous. Please see the link supplied above. How many inches is she? Not too bad with pyramiding and if she's an adult you can't do anything about it now anyway.
Ur tortoise roaming around ur yard is not dangerous what are you talking about

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Okey understood, no roaming. And to answer your questions, she is 2,95 inches
Benja letting your tortoise outside is not dangerous if you want proof check out garden state tortoises yt channel or any of the other millions of vids of people who leave their tortoises and box turtles outside all day and night in some cases. And I've kept mine outside during the warms months for 4-5 years and have never had an issue and neither has anyone I know who owns tortoises or box turtles seeings outside is their natural environment