Help for a newbie owner. (general care & routines)

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Nails grow the only issue is if it is rough i.e think of your fingernail breaking you may need a file to remove sharp edges. You can get a nail file and place you fingers on upper leg and very fast file it, otherwise leave it. if you provide low rocks in the environment this helps them keep nail trimmed. FYI using an earthenware plant pot base for fresh green leaves helps keep beak trimmed.
As per care sheet adding calcium to their diet on the leaves or cuttlefish helps shell, bone and nail growth.

Benja28

Pilar de la Horadada, Alicante, Spain
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-19 at 17.44.55.jpeg
Today I saw that Belly has this translucent zones on her shell, anyone knows what that is ? I assume that is because she is growing, I dont think that is shell rot but i dont really know, any answer is really helpful.

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Can you mark up the photo to show where you are asking about? Also shell rot is rare in russians and rare on top, from my understanding

zovick

10 Year Member!
With schmutz you are refering that she is dirty right ? If its that, I dont know the reason because I soak and bath her daily, so I dont know, lets wait for the answers from the experts
Those look like hard water deposits. The minerals which are in the water accumulate on the shell when the water evaporates.

You can remove them with white vinegar or even lemon juice on a cotton swab or a small rag. Both of those liquids work better if warmed first.

Benja28

Pilar de la Horadada, Alicante, Spain
Those look like hard water deposits. The minerals which are in the water accumulate on the shell when the water evaporates.

You can remove them with white vinegar or even lemon juice on a cotton swab or a small rag. Both of those liquids work better if warmed first.
I will try that and I will update how it goes, lets hope it goes away, I will be watching in case of someone thinks something different, thanks for your advices, you are lifesavers guys !