Help getting my enclosure hotter

sabrinapg

I just built a new enclosure for my leopard tortoise. I can't seem to get the temperature to stay over 75/80. It is 60"x30"x18". ImageUploadedByTortForum1392510684.182104.jpg

It would help if I told you I currently have a 125w ceramic heat emitter and a zilla 125 sun glo light in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Is there a front piece? I mean did you remove it to offer up a level picture? I would come up with some way to cover the top most of the way, this will allow humidity and temps to settle a bit more that with the entire enclosure open....Also, you can add some plants (real or silk plants) and this will offer up additional hiding places, which torts seem to appreciate....:D

sabrinapg

There is a plexi glass front. Otherwise he wouldn't stay in :p he's an explorer!!
I will try getting more of the top covered and find some plants for him to hang out in.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There is a plexi glass front. Otherwise he wouldn't stay in :p he's an explorer!!
I will try getting more of the top covered and find some plants for him to hang out in.

LMAO....that was why I was asking....I was like, ooo, I hope they don't have the side open like an open garage door (;))....just funnin ya.

And yes, if you try to figure a way that works for you in securing the openness of the enclosure then you will find the temps and humidity increase....also, you could add additional heating source, like a ceramic heat emitter....or bury some heating cables deeper into the substrate along with covering the enclosure...

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Also you can try lowering the lights.They seem high to me. Read the manufactures direction for the bulb you have but most recommend 12 inches or so depending on the watt & brand.