Should I buy this?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
IMG_4750.PNG IMG_4751.PNG IMG_4752.PNG So Diego is happy outside in the sunshine but that won't last forever here in Portland, Oregon so I'm starting to collect materials for his indoor enclosure. I saw this add on Craigslist for some heating and lighting equipment. Could someone confirm that these are safe and effective products. Any problems I should be aware of with them? Are they a good deal for used equipment? I wanna do it right the first time and I'll of course pay more for better stuff if necessary... I just love a deal! Here is the list from the ad:

-Zilla dome lamp with individual sockets for heat and light. Comes with ceramic heat emitter installed and extra bulbs. Has a socket for a ring-style fluorescent lamp and separate on/off switches for each of the two sockets. $15.
-Zoo Med LF-17 deep dome light fixture. 8.5 inch diameter. 160 watts. Installed in the dome is an Exo Terra Solar Glo Sun-Simulating Bulb, 125 watts. $30.
-Lamp stand. Variable height from 21 inches minimum to 37 inches maximum. $15.
-Digital thermometer and hygrometer. $5.IMG_4754.PNGIMG_4753.PNG IMG_4755.PNG

Sorry about these poorly cropped photos.. I couldn't figure out how to get them where and how I wanted them. I'm low tech :(

Last edited:

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I've paid between $18 and $25 for the lamp stands new from Amazon. Depending on how old the MVB bulb is in the deep dome, that might not be a bad deal. I think the Exo Terra MVBs are cheaper than Zoomed / Powersun but the deep dome fixture is usually about $20 or more when I need to get them.

I don't have any experience with the dual light fixture style. Maybe someone else can give some input