HELP HARD WATER???

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
Hi All,
Any ideas how you get the hard water spots off a tank safe? I used tap water before distilled water? Live and learn. lol

Randi

Canada
Reverse Osmosis or distilled water mixed with vinegar works very well. You can do a mix of half water and half vinegar or less vinegar and more water.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
I also have what looks like water spots on Sunnys shell? lol I bathed him in tap water before also, will they just come off by themselves with bathing him in the distilled water now? Thanks

Randi

Canada
It doesn't require a certain temperature. Room temperature would be fine. It should be effective immediately. You can spray it and wait a minute if you'd like. The hard water deposits should come off easily. Wipe with a paper towel or cloth.

I think in time, the hard water deposits will come off your tortoise. I believe there may be some threads asking about hard water deposits on a tortoise and how to remove it if you use the search option.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks again I will try it. He doesnt really have mineral deposits, it just looks like round water marks on his shell really small? One vet thought it was the yellow colour on his shell? They are kind of weird? lol That is the only thing I could think it would be unless it is kind of peeling/molting? Thanks

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Those water marks, or weird swirls, on the carapace and plastron are supposedly normal. Mine had them and still do. There are more threads about this if you do a search. Essentially no one knows why they're there but it doesn't seem to be a health issue.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
CLR works but you have to wash the tank out good after .

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Yes! that is what they are like weird swirls small Sunnys are a yellow? I dont know about CLR? I dont really want to use vinegar? lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's for removing hard water stains. It works just clean it out really good . What I did was CLR, then soap and water ,then hot water and bleach ,then put out in the sun let dry ,then refill test water with test kit . Works better than scrubbing for hours . Three baths you all good .

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hey Pfara,
Just looked at some of your tort pics? Just wondered those light coloured lines out lining the different shell parts Sunny has that too? Why are they light coloured out lines for? Thanks PS Thanks Mike. Does distilled water and vinegar really work on hard water? It is like baked on from the light? lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Those lighter marks around the scutes is new growth. Its a good thing . Never tried the vinegar and water . In that case can you just use a douche ? Not trying to be funny ,but isn't a douche made out of vinegar and water ? Just saying they are cheaper.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just saying they are cheaper .lol

Kelly71

london ontario canada
lol Yes Sunny does have those lighter lines out lining the shell parts. I did have another vet though say that sometimes they can really pop right off when they grow and there is a shinny new one under? I am glad someone told me that I would have had a heart-attack! lol I have had 2 vets tell me that now? lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Water turtles shed scutes but tortoises do not . As long as they have a good basking spot where they can completely dry off . If they can't get out and dry they can get shell rot and that's no fun .

Last edited:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My red ear sliders and snapping turtles live in this outside year round . Have had no problems with my turtles . Did have a problem with green water but got a UV filter and fixed it .

Attachments

• 1431661818968.jpg
    1431661818968.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 9

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hey Pfara,
Just looked at some of your tort pics? Just wondered those light coloured lines out lining the different shell parts Sunny has that too? Why are they light coloured out lines for? Thanks PS Thanks Mike. Does distilled water and vinegar really work on hard water? It is like baked on from the light? lol

Mike is right. The light colored (white or grey) lines in between scutes is just new growth. They turn darker in a few days.

And no, scutes shouldn't fall off for reds. Time to find a new vet :p

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks all but, now I have had 2 vets tell me that? I dont have anymore vets around here that even look at torts?:( lol