HELP HARD WATER???

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Many vets don't have experience with normal.

Where I live, the water is so hard we use an undiluted vinegar soak to remove hard water deposits. I buy it by the gallon for cleaning.

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
Hi,
Holy crap! Thats hard? lol Maybe if I use vinegar and fine steal wool? I hate the water spots? It makes the tank look awful? lol

Randi

Canada
I worked at a large fish and reptile store. Can't use chemicals so we'd mix RO water with vinegar. Spray it on the glass and wipe off with a cloth. It's that easy...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If its on glass you can remove the spots with a straight edge razor and some effort.

On the tortoise just rinse with distilled water or collected rainwater after soak and over time the minerals will fade away.

Don't use distilled for soaking or drinking, but its fine for spraying the tank or tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
Well if you cant use tap water or distilled water for bathing or drinking what do you use then? Thanks

Tap water is fine for bathing and drinking. That is what I use. Just give them a distilled or rain water rinse after the soak so that the tap water doesn't evaporate and leave its minerals behind. Drinking should not be leaving hard water stains on your tortoise or tank, unless your tortoise drinks in a totally different way than mine do. :D

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Just wondered also how do you take these little guys outside for some real sun rays? lol I know you dont put them right on the grass but...you put them in a box? In the sun? For how long? With water and a shady spot? I live in Onatrio if that helps? Thanks

Randi

Canada
Hi,
I might be really dumb but what is RO water and where would you buy it here in Canada? Thanks

RO stands for Reverse Osmosis. It's water that is run through different membranes and purified. It's got a low PH and is free of a lot of the minerals found in tap water.

You should be able to find it at almost any grocery store. I live in Alberta, Canada and it's sold pretty much everywhere.

Tom mentioned that it should only be used for misting the tortoise and tank. I agree. I've only ever used tap water for my reptiles. I believe it's got trace minerals that are beneficial for them.

Last edited:

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks all. Well to tell you the truth I have had a vet tell me to use distilled water and some people? I guess it is one of those things that is up for debate? lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
Just wondered also how do you take these little guys outside for some real sun rays? lol I know you dont put them right on the grass but...you put them in a box? In the sun? For how long? With water and a shady spot? I live in Onatrio if that helps? Thanks

You can put them directly on the grass as long as your grass is not treated with a bunch of toxic chemicals. Just make an enclosure for them and be sure it has plenty of shade as well as access to sunshine. I soak mine on the way back in, so no need for a water dish, but it certainly won't hurt anything to use a safe shallow one.

Like this:
jkvj2h.jpg