White between scutes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
I have a question. I have noticed that the lines between Baxters scutes has gotten really white. Could this be hard Water build up? I spray down and soak his enclosure with water from the tap

image-532137357.png

image-1089125046.png

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Hmm, is he digging and maybe getting his shell dirty? I can't imagine it being hard water build up but I don't know too much about that.

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
So that's good then? And normal? I don't want him to grow faster then he should. It's crazy he's growing that fast. He is not a hardy eater and is kind of picky. I know he's eating, he poops normally and frequently but there is always a lot of food left when I feed him and the portions are already pretty small :/

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
He's growing well. I think those are hard water stains. Mine has them too. I use a soft toothbrush to clean it but it doesn't really come off well.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
That is new growth, but the white tells you that it is dry growth......Those two combined are not a good thing......

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
Update! It's hard water buildup. I used vinegar and a toothbrush and scrubbed a little and it started to disappear. I think it's because are tap water is t great around here :/

image-3539443367.png

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It is the growth margin. Not hard water stains. Being scrubbed there with a brush and an acidic solvent must feel rather unkind.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have received the correct answer from Baoh, EricIvins and Julius25. It is where the new growth appears. It is very tender. The reason it is so light is because you are keeping your tortoise too dry. You say you spray him down, but what is the humidity after he's all dried off?

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
Omg I had no idea, I was following the advice of someone on a different thread. I try to never let it go below 50% but I see now that Is not enough. I just bought enough plexiglass to cover the entire top of his enclosure. I hope this helps keep the humidity in. I would never hurt my tort on purpose. I hope the damage I have done is not permanent. :(

Okay the humidity is now 90% with the plexiglass covering the top. I will see what it's like in a couple if hours

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Your tort is fine……..Like most folks have mentioned the white area is new growth , but also could be the development of pigmentations or "lack of" in this case , this is common in Redfoots, especially CherryHeads. Most call it Marbling , variegated what ever you choose , but a very sought after trait no less. This usually starts minuscule at a young age and will expand as the tortoise matures. As far as it being dry and causing it ….that’s new to me . Below are some variations within Redfoots and CherryHeads and the “ marbling”
None of the white has anything to do with tap water … being dry - whatever” It is a line gene (recessive) that is carried on thru out the tortoises heritage/family. NO need to scrub and if worried about hard water stains you really shouldn’t be .
If you have hard water in the home, it means that your H2O contains large amounts of minerals, such as limestone, calcium, and magnesium all which are safe it’s the “ lime” you have to watch as well as the chlorine . But this may take years of neglect before you would see any real issues. If you belive the stains are hard water ….a couple of tricks , safe with no scrubbing needed. Dilute lemon juice with purified water and spray …wipe clean…Another is diluted vinegar - same results , what ever the case watch your little guys eyes when doing the above….although niether mentioned would permanently damage the torts eyes .. Just sting like heck!
zzxx11.jpg
zzxx8.jpg
TDY8.jpg
ultra1.jpg
A53.jpg
Marb1.jpg
Marble.jpg

Happy Tort~N
JD~ :)

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
Thank you for your reply! I feel so much better :) looks like my guy is going to be pretty handsome lol. I love this forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.